Clear all

My Favorite Guitar Store Is Closing

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Brooks Mays, a small chain of small stores here in NC is folding. I'm bummed. It was that kind of small operation where you walked in and they knew you, what you played and how badly you played it.

I guess it's to the revolving door of salesman at the local GC or Sam Ash. I'm glad I got all the gear I need.

Although, there was this one Fender Showmaster (?) with twin-humbuckers by Seymour Duncan for around $450......

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Too bad ... it's hard for small retail guys to really stay competitive.
Although, there was this one Fender Showmaster (?) with twin-humbuckers by Seymour Duncan for around $450......

There's probably still the "closing sale" ....

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is the one I was looking at. Waiting at least until 9/10 (salesman's guess when the next price drop would happen) until I get real serious.

Fender Showmaster

Anyone every mess with one of these? I smell a bad case of GAS coming on.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Are they having a "going out of business sale"? Those are the best (but can also be sad).

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Are they having a "going out of business sale"? Those are the best (but can also be sad).

Soon. It's in the beginning stages.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I'd rather have my favorite shop close than what happened to mine...

There was a local shop here, and by local I mean privately owned, not a chain. The guy who owned it was a great old italian guy, new every customer, everything. Then, when he got sick he didn't close the store, he sold it to some asshole who kept the store's name (to try to keep faithful customers) but changed all the store's policies. Raised prices, made it so to try an instrument you had to be serious about buying it, and got rid of their free service on instruments they sold. Basically, everything about the shop is gone. Now it's like a really small, uptight GC.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

i feel your pain, at the begining of summer this year one of the 3 guitar stores in my town closed. what makes it suck is that they were the only one that carried Jackson guitars(i love them) and everyone there was really freindly and helpful aswell.

At least the other two stores are locally owned and not part of a big chain.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote