Clear all

My first time

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hope this is the right forum to use. I wanted to share my first "performance" experience with people who can appreciate the feelings I had.

I've been playing for about 10 months, doing most of it on my own. I think I've progressed pretty well and I really enjoy it. However, I have not "performed" for anyone and mostly just the family has heard me play.

We went to a Halloween party on Saturday night that featured a small two-piece band. There were about 60 party-goers in attendance. As the night wore on (and everyone, including me, had a few more drinks in them), the party's host joined the band to play drums on a song. Some of my friends started poking me to get up and play with the band (with the band extending an invite to me). Considering that (a) I've never played before an audience like this, (b) I had quite a bit to drink, (c) I didn't know the song they were playing, and (d) I was absolutely petrified, I politely declined and endured some freindly ribbing. Then my wife hit me with a devastating comment, "At least you talk a good game." Well, I am not a "talk a good game" guy. Never have been.

As I stewed on it for a few minutes, the band started playing "Blister In The Sun," a song I can play well and a song that is a lot of fun. My wife, who has heard me playing this tune to death, gave me a look. That was it. The next thing I knew, I had their spare guitar in hand and was playing in front of that audience. I'm pretty sure I did a decent job. At least my friends were polite enough to tell me so. :D

It was exhilarating, frightening, and potentially humiliating. Since I'm a trial lawyer, those feelings are very familiar and similar to the feelings I get when a trial starts. But this was a bit different. With trials, I'm trained and in my expert element. Not so for playing the guitar. I was so scared, but having done it for the first time, I felt immense satisfaction (and relief).

I gratefully thanked the band, my wife and my friend who was pestering me the most.

It was an amazing experience I will not forget (even though I'd been drinking). I think some people even took some pictures of me rocking to the Violent Femmes dressed as a pirate. Can't wait to see them.

Thanks for letting me get this out to a group of people who can appreciate the experience.