Clear all

neck binding

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

just wondering, if someone purchases a guitar, and wants to but binding on the neck later on, is it a complicated thing to do for the guitar techs? Would it be very expensive.

Im still in a GAS state and wondering if I get an epi dot, I can add neck binding later on to match the body

And one more thing, it has dot inlyas, would it be possible to get those filled in with the small diamond inlays, found on older gibson 335s? I know that if the preferred inlay is larger, you can cut an area that will be bigger than the current inlay, which allowd you to change the inlay

There is much confusion surrounding this topic, so anything is appreciated

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Both those things will take some routing.

Putting binding on will mean both sides of the fretboard will have to be trimmed to make room for the binding. If you've got templates for it it's not tremendously difficult, but the frets will make it a little harder. They'll need to be taken out then put back in, unless your luthier wants to try to cut a slot underneath them.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They're both big jobs.

For adding binding, you'll need the slot that Paul mentioned. Because fretwire is 'T' shaped - there's a 'tang' that goes into a slot on the fretboard - that slot can't be cut with the frets in place. So first the frets come off, then the slot gets routed, then you can go one of two ways:

- replace the frets, and work the binding around them. This will give you binding right over the edges of the frets, and it's often done with plastic bindings. It gives a nice finished look to things.

- place the binding, then notch the ends of the fretwire pieces. This puts the ends of the frets right on top of the binding. Fitting the frets requires more precision this way - you can't be off side-to-side and file it off later. This is the only way to go with stiff bindings like ivory, or if you're refretting an already bound fingerboard.

Inlays are even trickier. Because almost all guitars have a channel right under the fretboard for a truss rod, there might not be even working support - so I'd remove the fretboard and work it as a separate piece. The glue on the old markers can be loosened with heat - be careful, though... if they're cheap plastic ones you can get a melted mess to deal with. Get the glue hot and starting to loosen, then press down hard on one side of the inlay to try to raise the other end - after that, you can carefully pry it out.

Now you clean up the leftover glue, and assess the situation. If the new dots are larger then the old ones, just mark off where they need to be and cut to size. Be sure not to cut as deep as your inlay material - you want it to stick up just a hair over the fretboard, and then you'll file it down even. (Be sure to file, not sand - most inlay materials are harder than fretboard woods, so sanding gives you a 'wavy' spot around the inlay) If they're smaller than the old ones, the fretboard will need to be filled in - honestly, if that's the case, I'd replace the whole fretboard. Although you can match a new wood patch to the old fretboard, you're talking hours and hours of detail work. A fresh start is a lot easier.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Buy a Washburn HB35. You get a better guitar than an Epi, with a bound body, neck and headstock. Look around (particularly ebay) and you can get a new one for the same price as an Epi.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you really like the guitar, leave it as is, because one day you'll wonder why you did all that crazy work on your modest little axe. As someone who owns a few guitars, I can assure you that even the simplest, most unadorned guitar can have more charm than a fancy axe. One day, assuming you hold on to that guitar (and I encourage you to do so), you will play it with nostalgic fondness and marvel at its lovable simplicity.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I was just thinking that I wont ever in my life have enough free cash to spend on lot of guitars, and neck binding is jsut one of those cool things, I hope I could get without buying a $3000 guitar just to get it

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you really want the Dot look at the Epi Elitist. They are around $1200 new and very high in quality.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

The elitist is the first thing I looked at, and I wouldve loved one. Big problem though, im 15 and no source of income. I have approxiametly $500 saved up, so I'm thinking of the epi g400 custom, or now, Im leaning toward the epi dot, currently at MF for $449

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The elitist is the first thing I looked at, and I wouldve loved one. Big problem though, im 15 and no source of income. I have approxiametly $500 saved up, so I'm thinking of the epi g400 custom, or now, Im leaning toward the epi dot, currently at MF for $449
I hear ya. I was just bringing you down from the $3000 you quoted. I have heard a lot of good things about the dot so I don't think you can go wrong and hey I would not worry about the neck bindings since they don't stand out much anyway.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I was just thinking that I wont ever in my life have enough free cash to spend on lot of guitars, and neck binding is jsut one of those cool things, I hope I could get without buying a $3000 guitar just to get it
With all due respect, you ARE only 15. How much money you have to spend on future guitars is 100% up to you.
You have a golden opportunity to do whith your life what you want and there is no one but you that can stop that.
You don't need a great start to get where you want. I was raised in poverty by a single mother. I have worked hard and now enjoy a six figure income. If I can do it anybody can.
Don't rush life but don't waste it either.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

With all due respect, you ARE only 15. How much money you have to spend on future guitars is 100% up to you.
You have a golden opportunity to do whith your life what you want and there is no one but you that can stop that.
You don't need a great start to get where you want. I was raised in poverty by a single mother. I have worked hard and now enjoy a six figure income. If I can do it anybody can.
Don't rush life but don't waste it either.

thanks for that missleman, my parents tell me stuff like that all the time

for nils, and other people..
Ive been thinking about it but how are you supposed to access the elctronics in a 335 style body. Ive been thinking about it, and it jsut seems impossible

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

for nils, and other people..
Ive been thinking about it but how are you supposed to access the elctronics in a 335 style body. Ive been thinking about it, and it jsut seems impossible
Actually it is not as hard as it seems. You loosen everything you want to work on and pull it out the F hole. You can actually put strings on the pots to pull them back into place when you are done. They leave lots of wire in their for that very reason.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

what if you drop itthe piece inside it? it seems you're 335 guitar, just became part drum also :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

what if you drop itthe piece inside it? it seems you're 335 guitar, just became part drum also :lol:
In that case don't drop anything :lol:

Remember, it is all tied together with wires so you just pull on the next piece. Coat hangers are a wonderful tool.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

get yourself one of these, make sure to wrap the spring in electrical tape so it doesnt't scratch the edges of the hole.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flex-Spring-GRABBER-CLAW-Pick-Up-Tool-Brand-New-Tools_W0QQitemZ7999667558QQcategoryZ30917QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
PS: there are flexible magnets too in case you drop a washer or something small that you cant get with the claws.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2