Notifications
Clear all

neck binding

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Teenage years are crazy times and full of energy. When I was 16, I wanted a better guitar than my Teisco Del Ray. So I modded it:

1. Converted the electrics to two volume, two tone complete with Tele pup switch
2. Custom made acrylic and walnut stained wood replacements for the pickguard and control plate, respectively
3. Replaced the cheapo plastic tuners with "real" metal jobbies
4. Re-covered the pups with Gibson P90 covers (had no idea what a P90 was at that time, just liked the covers)
5. Replaced the roller bridge with a tune-o-matic
6. With no plans or idea of how "real" necks were made, hand built a maple neck from a rough plank of maple, including from-scratch truss rod and maple fretboard. Pulled the frets out of the old neck and put these in my new neck. Added plastic, fake pearl shirt buttons for markers.

It all worked, and I learned a lot about guitar design, contruction, spraycan lacquering (much to my parent's dismay). But when I was done, I still had a cheap guitar -- but clearly like no one elses.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

do you still own it? some pictures would be awesome

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately, no. It disappeared into oblivion sometime during my university days, when I began earning enough money to buy my first quality guitars -- all from this new, unknown company called Ibanez. I wish I had the neck I built, as well as the old Teisco in its original condition.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

it wouldve been awesome, if you still had it, great memories

so, do most of you think neck binding isn't that big a deal?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Purely a personal choice: I have guitars with and without neck binding, and it does not rank highly on my features-to-have list. Also consider that these days, some relatively inexpensive guitars have bound necks, so it's not something exclusive to "better" guitars.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2