Clear all

Need Advice/Insight on vintage guitar wear

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing a $35 acoustic the past half year and am finally in the market for an electric and I have stumbled upon this listing on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250194477903&Category=2384&_trksid=p3907.m29

The only model Mosrite I would buy is the mark V, because in my 2-3 years of off and on playing I have determined that I do not like neck binding. That said, I have only seen 2-3 of these pop up on Ebay/Craigslist the last 4 months or so and every single one has had wear issues on the frets and neck. I was hoping some of the more experienced posters here could help me out with determing what is bad wear, what is normal/playable etc. I am not interested in any reissue of the Mark V. I want the real deal 1960s version. I have been hoping for some immaculate unused one to come up that I could get for around $2,000-$2,500 since these are the "cheaper" student model Mosrites, but no dice :(. Note that this guitar will be played/the main axe as some of you say (home use and jam with friends...no gigs for me)

I asked him to send me additional photos of the areas where wear is present and they are linked below.

I don't really care about the aesthetic wear, but the fret wear and back of the neck wear worry me a bit. All the others I have seen online for sale have had this type of wear and have actually looked worse. Will this affect how smooth the guitar plays on the lower frets when I'm playing open chords and will I feel it? General insight like this is all I'm looking for.
Of course, I have no idea how this guitar plays so that is a complete roll of the dice as well since I haven't found anyone in Texas that has something like this for me to try out.

Disclaimer: I am not good at guitar, but have always said if I had the money I would try and get one of these. I owned one electric for about a year before I sold it for 100 bucks because I wanted money to take a girl out...DUMB

Thanks for any and all insight.

plz im a noob