Need Help Choosing A Guitar....

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
After a year of acoustic guitars, I've finally decided I want an electric guitar. And I'm looking into electric guitars right now. I've saved up and tommorow I'm gonna get a new electric which I'm really excited about. Well, till now I've come up with the following two series which I really like, Ive played it , enjoyed it . I love Ibanez so I couldn't look further into other guitars.. these are my choices.
1. Ibanez Steve Vai Series
2. Paul Gilbert PGM3 Series.

I'm personally more into the Steve Vai series and I'm thinking about getting it. Anything else I should know about these guitars ? I just wanna make sure that the money I spent is worth it. Anything I should know about things to look into and ways to keep my guitar polished and new, first things to do list ? thats abt it.

(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

i dont understand why does everyone come here and ask wat guitar they should get? Ok its very simple guy and girls go to your nearest guitar shop and sit down and play it you look for something that fit your fancy dont ask us to choose for you

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Death,

It's just the way it is, like Death and taxes.

Musroc,

Death has a point, which one feels right to you?

Check out http://www.harmony-central.com for reviews.

I think you can't go wrong with either of your choices.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

alright, thanks..that really helped me out. And, I wasn't asking for YOU to choose my guitar. I just wanted to know if anyone had used the above listed guitars and if so, wht did they think ......... you don't have to go all crazy when its just a simple question waiting to be answered. I said I had already gone through the guitars and those were the 2 choices I made, now I just wanted to know from the guitar owners itself if there are any problems with it .

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Musroc

I think the answers you have been given are, to a point, because recently there's been a lot of posts like "I have $200 to spend, which guitar should i buy?".....and its a VERY personal thing.

I get where you're coming from, you have narrowed it down to a couple of choices, and want informed feedback on these specific choices.

Someone on here must be able to give you a bit of feedback, i would have thought....come on everyone!

As far as first things and cleaning, check out the beginners section on here. Nothing is more effective than a good wipe down with a nice soft cloth after playing, and playing with CLEAN hands.

I am sure the replies are not indicative of the usual standard on this site, don't be put off, all your questions will be answered, i assure you.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I spend a lot of time reading reviews when I am thinking about a new guitar and HarmanyCentral is my favorite.

I know it seems like there is a lot of this same question being asked and answered all the time however, I find it very useful. Typically when someone writes a review they are on either extreme (love it or hate it) and opt to write the review for that reason. When discussions get kicked off here there tends to be a lot more detail such as good pickups, bad frets, seems to be heavy in the neck etc. This kind of detail really helps since it is more from knowledge instead of "I just bought it today and love it".

On the other hand there is nothing like a good healthy "road test" of the ones you like.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go for the Steve Vai's Jem Series. It sounds like a great guitar and after doing some search its certainly worth the price it seems. But, I wanted to know if a guitar has any difference in respect to where it is manufactured .. The guitar I'm buying is made in Korea... and its not a signature model (expensive) ..... when I played it , it was real nice. Anyway , do any of you guys own any korean guitars and is there a huge difference between the guitars manufactured in Japan , USA and the ones in Korea ?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I enjoy the feel, and especially the look of JEM series, but when you get down to it, I think I had to face the fact that it was little more than a (very) glorified RG.

Other than some fancy inlays, different pickups, and unique paintjob, I would say that if you're going for an Ibanez type guitar and money is even the smallest issue, get a top of the line RG and then upgrade the pups. You'll end up with essentially the same guitar with half the cost.

That said, if a guitar is truly speaking to you... go for it.

Also, check out http://www.jemsite.com for the ultimate resource on JEM's and Universe's.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@musroc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks..

ReplyQuote
(@thelonius)

good luck, I don't know about the gilberts, but I just seem to rarely ever see a Vai. The last one in fact was in St Louis in 98ish.

ReplyQuote