Clear all

Need Help Understanding AMP Basics

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401. This is the first (only) amp I've owned. Purchased it a few months ago. I've been experimenting with different level settings trying to help myself understand how different settings will affect the sound/tone I get. Now that I am past the initial.."WOW, Gain sounds really cool turned all the way up" phase, I want to learn how to get cleaner, crunchier (insert your favorite adjective here) sound out of this puppy.

As far as I can tell, there are two things that I need to learn a bit more about but I am too thick headed. 1st is the basics on how the amp works and why. There are 3 sections on the amp...(Clean, Overdrive and Master) Clean - with its own tone controls) This part I get. This is how the guitar will sound with no overdrive. It even has it's own gain setting.

My confusion comes in on the Overdrive and Master sections. Question is this..What is going on inside the amp if I...

a) turn the overdrive gain up mid way but keep the overdrive volume low (2)- Master volume on 5
b) turn the overdrive gain up mid way but keep the overdrive volume high (9)- Master volume on 5

I guess the main thing is this...why have a separate volume for the overdrive? What is it doing to the amp when i use high volume vs. low volume? This amp has 2 overdrive selections. 1st is a low distortion, the second is a higher distortion. Now, if I am playing the rhythm to a song using OD1 and (without touching the volume) step on OD2 to play the lead...the volume goes WAY up? What am I doing wrong?

Next I'll need to ask about the 3 pedals I bought. Will make another post for that.

Thanks!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.