Clear all

Need opinions on mandolin

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What do you think of the Johnson Savannah Mandolin MF-100 electric. Im trying to find a pretty good electric F style mandolin for a good price.

I really want a Michael Kelly Legacy FS-E Mandolin with Fishman Pickup but its a lot more.

Do you think there is a big difference in tone and quality?

I was also thinking about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harmony-Acoustic-Electric-Mandolin-in-Great-Shape_W0QQitemZ220003365410QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But its so old im worried. Apparently harmony made some really nice stuff and some of it is worth a lot.

Are there any others you would suggest?

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

That Johnson mandolin looks fabulous but I'm sure there's a big difference from that to the Michael Kelly, who I've heard makes pretty great mandolins.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I have a really old Harmony gutiar from the 70s and it still plays pretty well...though I'm not sure how much that says about their mandolins. On the other hand, I'm sure another option is just what you need to make this decision easier :wink: but I came really close to buying a mandolin a few months ago, and this is the one that I was going to go with (unfortunately, some unforseen expenses came up):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-FM80E-AcousticElectric-Mandolin?sku=519329

I thought it played pretty nice for its price and I had heard good things about it. Sorry for adding one more to the list...but I hope it helps :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

In my opinion Kentucky makes the best Mandolins for under $600. But none of them have pickups in them. I'd buy the best one I could afford without a pickup and mic it.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

ya im thinkin whatever I get needs at least a solid spruce top and everything else solid if possible

I was also looking at these johnsons they seem really nice http://www.fretstore.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=101

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

There was a $90 Johnson that I was thinking of getting. I may still one of these days.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey so would it be possible to just get a decent solid body for like 300-400 and then spend another hundred or so getting good pickups installed?

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey so would it be possible to just get a decent solid body for like 300-400 and then spend another hundred or so getting good pickups installed?

Yes, that's possible. But usually it's more efficient to just get a good electric mandolin in the 400-500 range.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I think ive pretty much decided on Applause MAE148 Roundback Acoustic/Electric Mandolin Natural only 350$ and everyone said it sounded really good.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

let us know all about it when you get it.

ReplyQuote