Clear all

New Acoustic / Observations / Questions

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I purchased my first acoustic they other day. (unless you count a junky nylon classical that I've been in possesion of since I was 8 and belongs on the wall of some eclectic restaurant like Friday's) Figured it was about time. Summer is here and now I can play out in the yard.

Nothing breathtaking, a Washburn D10SCE (China). Accoustic / electric with a cutaway, nice sound. Neck is straight and action is low. Spruce top, mahogany sides, hopefully it will age nicely.

First of all, there are no gimmies on this guitar. I've noticed that I need to fret notes a lot more accurately than on the electrics I play. For instance I can play Blackbird (Beatles) on the electric pretty flawlessly (thanks to David H.'s lesson) and what better song for the acoustic. Had a couple of thunks and found myself having to concentrate more. I guess this will make me a better player in the long run. And I'm getting callouses on my callouses.

Now the fun part, the hunt for the right strings. I put on Martin Phosphor Bronze SP 12's when I got it home. Better than was was on but not sold on them just yet. How are the flat wounds? Will they reduce finger noise?
Or the Elixer NanoWebs, any votes for those? I like the fact that D'Addario seals their strings air tight so they don't oxidize in the box. Putting on new strings and having dirty fingers after 2 hours of playing is a real turn off.

Right next to the jack for the cable is another larger hole with 3 prongs in it? What is this for? I've not seen this on any other guitar, and I've picked up quite a few in the last couple of weeks.

All the best,
Michael

P.S. Now only 6 guitars left on my MUST HAVE list. Or was that seven.... er.. eight maybe. :wink: Please don't tell the wife.

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How are the flat wounds? Will they reduce finger noise?
Or the Elixer NanoWebs, any votes for those?

Hey congrats on the new guitar.

I've heard that flat wounds are a little mellower/darker and popular with jazz guitarists. I'm going to try some on my Ibanez semi-hollow next time I change strings.

I have Elixir Nanowebs on my Taylor Big Baby acoustic and like them very much. Comfortable to play and relatively less finger noise (not noiseless though.) They seem a little bright, but it might be the guitar. Excellent for finger-picking, which I am just getting into.

Neither flat-wounds nor Elixirs are cheap, so if you change strings often you might take that into consideration.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

hey, congrats on the new d-10sce, i have one too. I usually use elixir polywebs, they sound the nicest. But martians sounded alright too. I put ebony bridge pins on a while ago, and that made a considerable difference in tone. And i just recently ordered a tusq nut and saddle and we'll see how that works out. The extra plugin is an "xlr" jack. You can use it to plug right into the sound board. It reduces feedback and stuff. Seems to work alright. I have a question for ya though, what pick up does it have?

THanx

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

haha.....i used "Martins"** not martians...lol
mikey

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a question for ya though, what pick up does it have?

Not quite sure. New to this acoustic/electric thing. I mean I know it is under the saddle but I don't know what to look for in terms of names or numbers printed on the strip. Tell me what to look for and I'll loosen the strings and have a look see.

As for the expense of the strings I understand that since the nano or polywebs are coated they'll stay cleaner and therefore you change them less often. I change about once a month or when ever my ears tell me to. Not that concerned with the expense. Less finger noise would be a good thing.

thanks for replies.
Michael

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I will second the elixirs as I use them on my Tayor 210 and my Carvin. They seem to last a long time and I like the tone. I went to the Custom Lights (.010's) ve the .013's that came on the guitar. Better action and not as hard on my hands as the 13-56's that were stock. YMMV

John M

ReplyQuote
(@tricountytrail)
Trusted Member

D'Addario EXP 16 are my favorite, coated and sound and last excellent.
Give them a try.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction ...and sometimes a scar!

“Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever.”

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Thats an XLR out socket. Suitable, (I think), for straight-to-mixer use.

Hello Slejhammer :D

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hello Slejhammer :D

What are the odds that I know more than one drum playing guitarist from the UK? S'pose you play bass with flat-wounds too?
:lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Yes I do!

I put flats on my Tobias, and I'm very happy with them.

:D

Phosphor bronze on my acoustic.

Remo heads on drums.

F1 pick. ( http://www.f1pick.com )

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

well i guess i am asking the name of the preamp. Mines an "equis crytstal".

THanx

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, Equis Crystal

4 sliders, volume knob and notch filter

Michael

ReplyQuote