Clear all

New guitar day - with a twist. (Update)

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Some of you may recall that a while back I had a change of career. I had been in my old job for almost 24 years and as a result was awarded a significant golden handshake at the end of my contract. With that golden handshake I've bought a new car for Mrs Chuckster and I'm taking the family to Florida in the Summer. I've finally got round to spending a little of it on myself.

I always said when I get my money at the end of my contract I would treat myself to something a bit special and since taking up the guitar eighteen months ago it was obviously going to be guitar related in some way. For some time now I have been Gassing for a Gibson Les Paul since my guitar teacher bought his and let me hold it for a while. I fell in love with it. So I went up to London guitar shopping with my eldest son and I've treated myself to this beauty:

I agonised over the colour. I love both the wine red and the translucent amber and it took me an age to finally decide on the wine red.

Sadly, it's not all good news. Within an hour of getting it home on Saturday evening the bridge volume pot knob came off in my hand. Further investigation revealed the shaft of the pot that the knob sits on was damaged. Not quite what I was expecting from an expensive guitar. I've just got back from the store and they are returning it to Gibson for repair - a replacement pot. Fair play to the store though. They don't have any LPs in stock but can get me one for Wednesday, albeit a different colour - translucent amber, and have said I can either loan it until mine is repaired or if I prefer I can keep the loaner and they will keep my repaired LP. I guess I can't argue with that but I'm a bit annoyed I should be having to go through this with such an instrument. Who knows I may end up with the trans amber in the end. :?

Unfortunately I can't tell you how it plays as I've only played it for about an hour and most of that time it was unplugged. Didn't have the heart to play it after the knob fell off even though the guitar still works fine.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

She's beautiful, sorry to hear the dreaded Gibby lack of QC struck again.
Hope it all works out.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Very nice choice (either color!).

I am awaiting delivery of a new Gibson myself. I will post when it arrives!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

GGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm partial to red, but I bet the amber is beautiful, too.

Good luck with that decision.... :?

Enjoy whichever you wind up with.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm partial to amber as my first "real" Les Paul was amber. Congratulations!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

That wine-red is beautiful - I seriously want one now! :lol:

Too bad about the problem though :(

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Very nice Chuckster!

+1 to either color being a good choice. I really like the amber but the wine red is nice as well. I don't think there is a right or wrong color.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well that stinks, but at least the shop is treating you right. Good luck with whichever one you keep. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That guitar is amazing man. It's too bad about the problems it had, but it sure does look nice.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

amber is stunning . either would be nice.
as for the damaged pot leaving the factory...typical Gibson. typical.
how they can charge those prices for such shoddy inspection is beyond reason.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Which is why you would do well buying a Japanese LP replica. 1/4 of the price and equal, if not better, tone. As for quality control, well, the Japanese are famous for it...

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

typical Gibson. typical.

And it is a $5 part! Shame on you Gibson .... SHAME!!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

...and that Canadian-made case is a BEAUTY.... 8)
We aren't all that hi-tech, but we make great plush-lined things up here....pretty well HAVE to... :wink: BRRR !

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It's a tough one. I definitely like the tube amps over digital. A few years back I bought two Fender Hod Rod Deluxe amps. They're 40 watts, can get very loud, and are maybe 45 pounds. I got tired of lugging 'em around so I bought a little Fender Pro Jr. It's a 15 watt tube amp that weighs maybe 20 pounds. It's great to transport but I've found it doesn't have enough clean headroom when I play/practice with the bands. It starts to overdrive too early. But it's fantastic for home use.

Just keep trying out different amps. Most stores have a 30 day return policy.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2