Clear all

New Guitar!!! (sort of)

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Some of you may remember my posts about changing the nut and saddle on my Fender acoustic to TUSQ. First, I had to take it to the shop to have 2 frets reseated. Well...there was apparently a bigger problem aaaaaand....

FENDER'S GIVING ME A NEW GUITAR!

one with frets that don't come up! And while it's there, i'm gonna have it set up and a bone nut and saddle installed, beings i was planning on that anyway.

Hehehe

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a new guitar to me. :D

Congrats. It's also good to see that Fender backs their products.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

8)

Just in case...........

If you don't like the feel of the new one, don't be afraid to say so. Fender should comply, you are the consumer and you know what you like.

I don't think it's pushing the envelop, I thinks it's getting what you want.

Good luck with the new one!

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So i got another call from the Fender Repair guy.

They don't have my guitar (DG-20ce) in stock. So they are upgrading me to:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0958000021

It has a solid top. My dreadnaught had a laminated top. I'm very intrigued to have a guitar of a different shape and i am going to take them up on it.

Maybe Nick can help me on this. The specs say it has a "Urea Nut and Saddle"

What the hell i s Urea? I'm assuming that's the material, and if so, what's it sound like?

Anyways, when it comes in I will go to the shop and check it out, see if i like the way it feels and see if i want it set up (i imagine i'll have to foot the bill for that myself, but whatever).

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

That is an interesting looking guitar.
I noticed, aside from the F at the 12th fret, it has no position markers on the face of the fretboard (only on the top edge)
I like it.
You will love the sound you get from a solid top and, unlike laminates, the sound will just get better and better as it ages :D

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

yeah i have a solid top martin...also has no dots on the fretboard. The old fender was a gift from my parents, a surprise, so they had no idea it was laminated (or what that even means) but it still sounded nice and i got a bit of enjoyment out of it. I reallllllly like the way this other one looks though.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sounds like you got a good deal to me. Congrats and happy it worked out.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ive done some research and it seems Urea is a resin of some sort. One site described it as "synthetic bone."

Can anyone verify this?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Amino Plastics

Urea Formaldehyde (Beetle, Scarab, Mouldrite U)

The darkish colour of phenolic resins, particularly when subjected to heat, meant that only sombre toned mouldings could be produced — notably black, and shades of brown. The search for a colourless resin with similar properties to phenolics, led to the development in the 1920's/1930's of urea and urea resins. When combined with cellulose fillers and suitable colorants, the resins made possible the production of articles such as trays, cups, picnic-ware and lampshades in white and brilliant colours. Like mouldings made from phenolics, such items are keenly sought after by collectors who enthuse upon both the visually exciting simulations of alabaster and marble and the exotic trade names such as BEATL, BANDALASTA and LASTALONGA. As with the phenolic resins, however, the urea resins found important industrial applications in varnishes, laminates and adhesives.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

that looks good to me

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

I bought a DG20S from someone off of ebay and am fairly happy with it. However, when I lowered the action to 7/64th the resulting buzz pointed me to a couple frets that aren't well seated. It is a shame that the warranty only extends to the original owner but I didn't pay too much for it so it isn't a big loss.

I had seen your initial thread before and followed it with interest, waiting on your results in the nut and saddle change as I was considering the same. I guess that will have to wait. :-)

Congratulations on the new guitar. I am a newbie and don't know very much but I really like the looks of that guitar, more than the dreadnaught style that I currently have. It would be interesting, at least to me, to hear any feedback on the differences, sonically, playability, etc, between the two guitars.

In any case, I might contact Fender in my case and see what they can, or will do.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You getting it for free??????????

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

You getting it for free??????????

Yes and no. Basically his guitar was falling apart oddly so they are replacing it for him but he paid for the original guitar that fell apart.

this is my economic class "aint no such thing as a free lunch" talking.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

they are gonna give me an upgrade for free.

i think retail on the new one is about $100 more, and it's got a solid top, whereas my DG-20ce was laminated, hence the lack of an "S" in the model number. It also has a better preamp, i think. it's being delivered to the shop very soon, pending my final approval on the instrument. I'm very excited. I'm most likely gonna keep the nut and saddle original, but in the event i do decide to replace them, i'll let y'all know.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

they are gonna give me an upgrade for free.

i think retail on the new one is about $100 more, and it's got a solid top, whereas my DG-20ce was laminated, hence the lack of an "S" in the model number. It also has a better preamp, i think. it's being delivered to the shop very soon, pending my final approval on the instrument. I'm very excited. I'm most likely gonna keep the nut and saddle original, but in the event i do decide to replace them, i'll let y'all know.

So you mean that you have to pay 100$ for this new upgrade :?:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2