Clear all

My String Review

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@thedude)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No, not how they sound or play, but how they are packaged. I purchased several sets of Martin strings and I am very annoyed by the way they are packaged. There are 3 packs, with two strings in each pack. The 1st and 4th strings are packed together, then the 2nd and 5th, finally, the 3rd and 6th. Since I start with the 6th string, the 3rd string comes out with it. Be careful, they strings are not wrapped well, so when they come out of the pack, they unravel. Watch your eyes! Forget about getting the 3rd string back in the package. You must lay the string down and keep the pack with it to know what string it is. By the time you get the fourth string on, you have three very similar, loose strings. I hope you made sure to keep the packs lying on the appropriate strings.

Now, the D'Addario strings receive my highest praise so far. All the strings come in one pack after you open the box. They are all wrapped together very nicely and the ball ends are color coded! You cannot screw up...uh...unless you are colorblind. :?

Justin :wink:

P.S. I am sure this has been discussed, but what happens when you put electric guitar strings on an acoustic? Does it give a unique sound or a pathetic sound?

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL174/2016453/3903966/98827354.jpg

(@bford)
Reputable Member

I like the D'Addarrio packaging and strings as well. Sounds like Martin is half way between D'Addarrio and Earnie Ball. EBs are packed each string in an individual pack. :? Ok?
As far as electrics on an acoustic? My son-in-law has a cheap guitar set up that way as not to put too much stress on the neck. Sounds softer to too me since I suppose there isn't as much string to resonate. But I don't think there is any harm in doing it. Might require a truss rod ajustment if you are considering it.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Funny review, Dude. I had also wondered about Martin's odd packaging. On their website, they say it's done to save paper, and, er, to "avoid confusion." LOL.
Q: Why are your strings packaged in three envelopes instead of six?
A: It's an ecological decision that literally saves tons of excess paper every year. We package pairs of strings in alternate order to avoid confusion for beginner players who may not be familiar with different string gauges.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I also like how the D'Add's are sealed in plastic to reduce oxidizing in the package.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Typical Martin. Charge a grand for a guitar. And can't afford three little paper envelopes for strings.

I agree with everyone on D'addario - excellently packaged. I have just swapped over from Martin strangely enough. Seem excellent fingerpicking strings, even my missus has noticed a difference on her accoustic (which had Elixers on) - says they are easier to play.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

I think the reasoning behind the Martin strings being packaged that way is so that people won't accidently confuse adjacent strings (i.e. 3&4). It's really hard to confuse strings 2&5.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

yeah, apart from color coding, Martin's packaging is easy for me. I used a set of dean marley's once, got the strings mixed up when i layed them out on my bed, and i had a hard time telling which one was 1E and 2B. With the martin packs, it's easy to figure out which one goes where. Bravo, Martin

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I got to change the strings on my bass sometime soon. Jeepers, I hope I can tell the difference between those fellars when I go to change them.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Why don't you just put the 3rd string on after the 6th (and 2nd after the 5th, etc.) to avoid the confusion?
Seems a simple solution to what really is a minor inconvienience if it "literally saves tons of excess paper every year".
I'm not a fan of D'Addarrio strings, but I have to agree that the color coding is a nice convenience that lets me shut my brain off during the restringing process.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Even if you wouldn't do it you can see the difference in thickness between each string with your bare eyes, even the difference between 1st and 2nd string. Also realise that it hasn't much to do with Martin being cheap: you pay for whatever packaging you get. I myself don't care much about either method but wouldn't mind seeing D'addario, which I use myself, switch to the Martin method if it really saves that much paper. Seems like hardly any extra work and some trees can stand up a little longer.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If we really cared about the trees, we wouldn't be buying guitars......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

So, that would make Nick a lumberjack. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

:D :D :D

Vic

It would seem a guitar is a better use for a tree than a stack of waste paper. That's a bit like "If we cared for trees we wouldn't buy furniture." Of course there's a big divide between furnishing your house and servicing an Ikea (or GC) addiction.
I'm always amazed at a friend of mine who decided he wanted to learn guitar, went out and bought an accoustic in 1980, plays every day, and has never bought another guitar. I think he's gone through 2 amps in the last 25 years, but that's it.

Just... have... to... control... urge... to... buy... more... guitars...

Yeah, I can't do it either.
But, I do like Dean Markley nickel steel strings and they come in 6 separate packs.

ReplyQuote