Clear all

New Project: "The Rat Axe"

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, here's the scoop. Dogbite's nice looking home-made creation has set me off in an opposite direction. I wanna make a guitar so devestatingly ugly and offensively harsh sounding as possible.

Here are the qualifications:

1. Under $200 budget.
2. Must start off as a for real guitar.
3. Loudest, nastiest, most growling pickups within the budget, used and preferrably mis-mastched.
4. Anything goes for decoration, except that it should not depict graphic naughtiness or Michael Bolton.
5. It can't look like it's purposely designed to look like crap, just that it ended up that way.

So, anyone got any suggestions???

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

How 'bout Formica countertop material for the body with a solid wood center block for pup and neck mounting. I'm seeing the classic boomerang pattern.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

ebay my man, ebay.

May I suggest duct tape for the body? or some stickers?

pickups on ebay will be perfect. Get a Squier or somegthing, it'll be cheaper.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A friend of mine recently built a "PottyCaster" with a toilet seat body. Not a new idea, it's been done. Haven't yet seen a picture, but it sounds killer!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Knowing your interest in 2 wheelers, perhaps a bike theme?

A nice length of drive chain all around the edge. Some small gears or sprockets for control knobs.

A body with a bit of black leather and a few studs here and there.... a touch of chrome.... :twisted:

Could look really nasty with a bit of thought.... :P

Cheers Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A lot of good suggestions so far.

I've been thinking about a bike theme, but I wanna save it for another project.

Duct tape sounds interesting. Maybe I'll wrap it around the body-neck joint of something.

I've had my eye on this baby to start with. I'm sure there are others out there.

Formica countertop material replacing the back plate sounds interesting too. Maybe as a pick guard too. Hmmmmm

OK, so I think I'll hack into the body I get and make some room for a thrid humbucker. Instead of drilling, I'll just wire it out front and into another humbucker slot. That ought to look like hell.

Oh, and another touch I thought of. A cigarette burn under the strings on the head-stock. Make it look like one was left there un-attended.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

You must cover the body with carpet :) Put the cigarette burn on that. I really want to see a carpet guitar/bass some day.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You must cover the body with carpet :) Put the cigarette burn on that. I really want to see a carpet guitar/bass some day.

Not quite carpet. but ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I wanna make a guitar so devestatingly ugly and offensively harsh sounding as possible.

Save yourself the effort - buy an Estaban. :)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I sawe bob gedolf playing a african shaped guitar.Seems cool and its - 'make poverty history' :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like the idea.

I am always drawn to the interesting texture and juxtapositions of weathered billboard ads.

gimme torn paper and maybe dangling rat fur balls.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey, reading my E-mail just now I noted that over on http://guitarsite.com/ they've got a feature on "The 31 Ugliest Guitars Ever." That might be worth checking out. I haven't seen 'em.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey, reading my E-mail just now I noted that over on http://guitarsite.com/ they've got a feature on "The 31 Ugliest Guitars Ever." That might be worth checking out. I haven't seen 'em.

I liked a lot of them. I am leaning towards something like #31, but much trashier.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They had some pretty hideous ones on there, all right.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Gnease that guitar is AWESOME! :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2