Clear all

New Rogue Classic Brass Body Resonator

40 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A couple of weeks or so ago, this thing was run on Musicians Friend's "Stupid Deal of the Day" at $230 with free shipping (it normally sells for $350), and I saw it a few minutes before midnight. Just couldn't pass that up. Mrs. R. made me hand it over for wrapping for Christmas, then didn't want me to get it out till the kids were gone. I finally got it out tonight, and I am thrilled! It's a beautiful instrument! Not perfect, but it's well done and everything's right that counts. Where they cut corners was on the polishing of the brass before plating. On the top you can see some buffing marks under the nickel. It's not as well polished as my Johnson. But you've got to be close and closely studying reflections to see that. The domed back of the body is mirrorlike and without blemish. The nut, fretboard and saddle are flat. It's sloped toward the treble side, so the treble strings are a bit lower than the bass strings, as they should be. I haven't put a ruler to it, but the string height looks and feels like what I have set on my Johnson Tricone, an excellent compromise for sliding and fretting up to the 7th fret or thereabouts. Easy to fret behind the slide up to 2 frets back, if desired. I haven't measured the strings, but they appear to be medium .013-.056" "bronze" (80/20 brass) strings, and they are in new condition with no tarnishing or rust. They were shipped wrapped in brown paper. The nut is white plastic, and binds a bit on the third string as they so often do. The saddle is ebony capped maple, well fitted. The cone is spun, obviously on an automatic machine that produced perfectly even spirals, rather widely spaced. The pressed in spirals don't have the peripheral cross-linking lines of the Amistar branded cones. Musicians Friend says the brass bodies are all European made, but they don't mention the "Continental" cone of the Johnsons, and this may well be a Chinese made cone. Automated spinning machines are used for a lot of metal fabrication nowadays. Inside, I can see "mushrooms" that look like the ones in my Johnson. What I can see through the F-holes looks neatly fitted and finished. The rosewood fretboard is smooth, and the small old-style frets are finished smoothly and most importantly, are all level. The fret ends are adequately smooth, better than those on my Johnson. (Those catch my fingers just a bit.) Tuners are no-name sealed ones, bright nickel finished, and tune up smoothly with no abnormal backlash.

I oiled up the fretboard and strings with olive oil before handling them. I've been doing this for many years, and last night I happened across a site on caring for brass castings that recommended this for preserving them. It greatly increases the useful life of guitar strings.

The real joy of this guitar is in the playing! I tuned it to Open D, got out my BigHeart Bronze Bomber slide and put on an extra heavy Golden Gate thumbpick and .025" Dunlop nickel silver fingerpicks and let her rip! Whoa! Serious volume, and an awesome "honk!" I'm going to have to quit talking about single cones having less sustain than tricones. This guitar sustains better than my tricone and at least as well as my spider, but the difference is that the instant loud twangy attack of the biscuit stands out above the sustained note. It has excellent bass output, much better than the tricone, with a strong clear singing tone with the slide on the first string up to the 12th fret. It'll take a little getting used to this being a 14-fret neck with a single dot at the 12th fret and double dots at the 15th, having the typical "X" pattern of five dots covering the fingerboard attachment screws at the 15th, 17th and 19th frets. It has fretboard side markers at the 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets. Man alive, this thing does put out the sound! You can't be shy and play this one. It also really amplifies finger and slide noises on the strings, and if you hit a wrong note it'll ring right out, too. But you can make yourself heard. It's a cannon! I'm going to have a lot of fun with it!
:mrgreen:

The Musicians Gear classical guitar case:

As the guitar came in the case. This thing is really shiny! These are flash photos, and the light reflected off somewhere else, making the guitar pics look dark.

This one's really hard to see, but is the arched back of the body.

Ready to play!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

For a "stupid deal" that looks pretty sweet. Congrats!

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Looks like a beauty! 8) Can you post some sound clips for us?

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll get a round tuit. :D

Meanwhile, others have already posted clips on YouTube. One guy I know talks WAY too much, but does a nice demo. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That's a nice catch Ricochet. The deal of the Century, so far anyway! Very, very pretty - you gotta love it. :D

I've read all your details, from oiling 'er up, D-tuning, metal picks and a bright biscuit. :lol:

I was just studying the Regal and Fender Resonator guitars this Christmas too.

It looks like you're all set to enjoy your new toy. Atta boy! 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That is just awsome Ric! I'm happy for you I know you will put that thing to good use. 8)

Me? The wife said "I don't know what to get you so just order a guitar if you want one." You guys are gonna be dissapointed in me, but I think I have reached the saturation point of guitars. I don't have room and don't really need another right now. I have 20+. It's an Epi Les Paul or nothing right now and that was not in the budget. Could have done the cherry sunburst Agile AL2000. No, I play my 2 Epis mostly. The Gibbys and all the rest sit in their cases. Go figure?

I got this ......

Cheap but effective. The accessories are compliments of my daughter's boyfriend. He has a real bike. :roll: If I ride the thing enough this year I'll get a better one next.

Don't give up all hope though. My kids got me a Peavey VYPYR 15 modeling amp and it is/was awsome. I say was cause the corner protectors were smashed so it's on it's way back to be replaced. Tiny, versatile and powerful sounding!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice resonator Ricochet! Many congrats! Perhaps you could record a sound test... :roll:

Enjoy! :D

TR: Nice color. I got this. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice reso. those F holes are cool looking. my reso doesn't have em.

TR. nice bike. a cool bike accessory is a uke. ride no hands and strum. they fit in the water bottle holder. :roll:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I used to ride a bike all over the place, many pounds ago. Even back in the '90s I was getting scared of drivers using cell phones...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

After a while I put away the Bronze Bomber and got out my favorite red Diamond Ultimate slide. I haven't been used to using such heavy slides as the BB for a long time, and have much better control with the lighter Diamond. Sounds a lot better!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

enjoy it, Ric! def put up some recordings.

your story has one very bizarre element for me: your use of a Johnson instrument a quality reference. I doubt anyone would have predicted that would ever be possible 10 or 15 years ago!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yep. That second Johnson Tricone that I bought for my teacher was really sweet! Perfect out of the box, it needed nothing "improved," but he did install both piezo and magnetic pickups. He gigged with it all the time, and it sounded killer with a blend of the two pickups run through the PA! I hate that it got stolen last summer! Mine was one of the very first Chinese made Johnson tricones. Before that they were made by Amistar in the Czech Republic and sold for $1200-1500! Mine had a lot of things wrong with it that HAD to be fixed, and after all the work I've done it still doesn't have the tone or volume of a National, but I've had tons of fun with it and learned a bunch while messing with it. But it does have a better brass polishing job than the new Rogue, which plays and sounds great out of the box. At this price point I'm not too picky about polishing.

BTW, they've dropped the "Johnson" name, probably because of all the jokes I made about it all over the discussion boards. Now the same instruments are sold by the same importer under the "Recording King" name, which sounds dull and pompous to me.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Nice guitar, Santa Ric! :D

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I need to update my avatar pic. Hang on...

There. No more Santa till next year.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I need to update my avatar pic. Hang on...

There. No more Santa till next year.
Hopefully you didn't feel you needed to change it from my comment!

Jim

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3