Clear all

new toy for vocals works on guitar

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I got a new $700 toy the other night for my home studio. It is by TCHelicon called Voiceworks. It corrects the pitch of vocals to the key you are in within 200 cents. Of course I like to try weird stuff, so I plugged my strat into it, and did a little playing, and no matter how much I bent a string, or used the tremelo, it played in perfect tune. Heck I detuned the strat, and it was still in tune.

It's awesome toy. almost as much fun as hooking a Mic up to my Whammy pedal.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You should try playing in 4 part harmony

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

So, let me get this straight, if I add a pedal to override this thing when I want the bends and whatever else to get through I can sound like a real guitar player even if I am riddled with fat fingers, missed chords etc.

Wow, that's cool, I gotta get me one of these.... :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You now own one of the most controversial technologies available to the recording industry. There are many "discussions" about this in forums such as the rec.audio.pro newgroup.

Here's a sample story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPPrint/LAC/20030825/SINGING/TPEntertainment

Use your newfound power for good, not evil :wink:

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes,
I realize that, I run a Karaoke show. They keep coming back, telling me that I have such a great sound. They love how they sound on my system.
I agree it's cheating, but alls fair in Business, and Karaoke is one thing that is getting cutthroat around here. I can get paid 2-3 times what some on the other shows get, because I pack em in.

And yes, 4 part harmony does sound pretty cool on the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Applied to Karaoke, it definitely qualifies as a public service.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

Public service? Heck, I'd say sainthood!

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

If I was doing karaoke I would use one. Though I don't think I would want to listen to records with that on them.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Applied to Karaoke, it definitely qualifies as a public service.

Haha, good one. got me laughin.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Though I don't think I would want to listen to records with that on them.

You probably do; they're depressingly common devices. There was a discussion about them in the /. forums some time ago, and I recall one guy (I believe he was an engineer) talking about using them to correct things like the single off note in a once and a lifetime take. I say, if you can do it once, you can do it again, and maybe get it right this time. Pfffh. Autotuners. I apoligize if any of the scorn dripping from that word got on you guys. Lava brand soap should get it off if nothing else does. Of course, karaoke is another matter.

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member

I'm getting one!! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Only 200 cents??????

Need more than that to cure my voice :lol: :lol:

I'm lucky if I hit the right octave!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I'm with greybeard. If you could type out of tune I'd be doing it (but I'd be doing it loud).

For Karaoke, or messing about , fine, but for the pro it kind of sounds like cheating. Hell, in a concert I go to hear the singer sing , not a darn IBM processor process.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@piano-man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I do agree, a professional shouldnt need to have his voice processed, But does that mean he also shouldnt have harmony singers, and musicians in the background? (just to open a discussion)

Fact is nowdays 90+ % of the albums you listen to are processed. But when you look at the type of music that is coming out nowdays, they can use all the help they can get. Lets face it, Music nowdays, is more about distortion, rap, hate, and nothing much more than thump thump thump.

Sorry about the Rant, I just quit playing at a daquri shop I was doing, and all the crowd wanted to hear was rap, and thumps between sets.

what happened to the real music, rock, r&b, soul. Music used to have feeling, and meaning. lately it's more about noise.

I am not a Country & western only freak, I think a lot of the old Rock & roll and more quality music has evolved into the newer country. They for the most part have gotten away from the banjo's and twang. at least the portion I choose to listen to. But I guess that is all a personal preference.

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

Though I don't think I would want to listen to records with that on them.

You probably do; they're depressingly common devices. There was a discussion about them in the /. forums some time ago, and I recall one guy (I believe he was an engineer) talking about using them to correct things like the single off note in a once and a lifetime take. I say, if you can do it once, you can do it again, and maybe get it right this time. Pfffh. Autotuners. I apoligize if any of the scorn dripping from that word got on you guys. Lava brand soap should get it off if nothing else does. Of course, karaoke is another matter.

I don't listen to current pop music.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2