Skip to content
Nice Sounding Acous...

Notifications
Clear all

Nice Sounding Acoustic Guitar Song, Like Classical GAS.

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I never used to / really have played acoustic, ive stuck rigidly to my electric for satch / angelo / malmsteen songs, but i want to learn a few nice sounding acoustic songs..

Classical GAS is on my list, and i was wondering if any of you'se knew any other ones, that say, someone who didnt appriciate technique or music really, would stick really like, i dont like happy songs, so it would be a song in a minor key?

Does anyone have any names? or possible Classical guitarists who might have written any guitar music in this style?

Thanx.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

'Dee' by Randy Rhodes (although I believe it's off of Ozzy's, Blizzard of Oz CD) comes to mind, it is a very classical fingerstyle influenced song and might be what you're looking for.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Yeah definately check out Dee... If you want something more challenging try 'Comming Bach' by Ygnwie.
Another cool one is Babe i'm Gonna Leave You, by Led Zeppelin.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Who actually performed the guitar version of Classical Gas thats circulating around on the net? A lot of files say its Clapton, but im 98% sure its not. No, 99%.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

The one I've always downloaded is what everyone in real life considers as Clapton. Althouhg places like Limewire are very lax with who wrote a song, sometimes they'll attribute it to more wrong authors than right authors.

Anyways, try Foxlove by Bruce Cockburn. It sounds challanging enough, and is very pretty. Although, it's not writen in minor I'm fairly sure. I am almsot certain it's a piece in major, although it's not neccessarily a happy, sad, or anything song.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Classical Gas was recorded by Mason Williams! I hate it when jerks credit someone else for a song.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Mason Williams, I thought he wrote it, for a band type thing, not a solo guitar? Is it him performing it? Cmaracz, I'm almost certain that isn't Clapton. It's not his style at all.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Mason Williams's version is with violins and trumpets and a drum beat.. the solo 'sad' version of it, when i downloaded it, said it was Clapton..

but things are always misnamed on the net.. like the amount of exact files that have been recorded by Satch, Via, Malmsteen, Becker.. etc.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

What about the version thats guitar only but sounds almost the same as the Williams one with trumpets? I always thought it was Mason Williams, but it says Clapton on LimeWire...Grrr

ReplyQuote
(@slapdragon)

Horizons by Steve Hackett

Song for George by Eric Johnson

Mood for a Day by Steve Howe

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

learn Dee, its really fun to play.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

http://www.bruceschwab.com/cd.cfm

Scroll to the bottom. That one sounds verrrrry similar to the one circulating the internet.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Since Mason wrote it, he gets royalties no matter who records it. His website has a list of all the artists who've covered it - Chet Atkins, Steve Howe, John Williams... quite a list.

No Clapton on that list. I suppose it's possible he's one of the artists on one of the 7 'various artists' CDs to cover it, but I don't think it's likely - it's really not a good fit for Eric's brand of fingerstyle.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@hughm)
Trusted Member

Anyways, try Foxlove by Bruce Cockburn. It sounds challanging enough, and is very pretty. Although, it's not writen in minor I'm fairly sure. I am almsot certain it's a piece in major, although it's not neccessarily a happy, sad, or anything song.

Foxglove is played in open C. As recorded, capo is on the fourth, though I do it without, because it's just a shame to miss out on that lovely low C.

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

I know quite a few songs that I love to play ..or try to play. here are a few.

Alex De Grassi - Causeway (This has to be one of the most beautiful acoustic instrumentals I've heard)

Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

Black Sabbath - Embryo

Metallica - To Live is to Die (The whole song is friggin awesome, but the acoustic part which I think is the Interlude starts 4 minutes and 54 seconds into the song, it's awesome also. It is played on clean electric though.

Kansas - Dust in the Wind (this one can be a hard one, but once you get the general finger style of the song, it becomes SO easy, and is a really nice acoustic song.

White Lion - When the Children Cry ( a very nice acoustic piece)

I'm gonna stop right there. Enjoy

Marshall

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2