Skip to content
nights in white sat...

Notifications
Clear all

nights in white satin solo, what instrument?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

love the Moody Blues, and was just listening/playing the solo which is nice and slow and trippy, what kind of instrument makes this tone? I can get my guitar to somewhat resemble it w/ alot of effects from my processor but was just curious what they used.

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure it was a flute....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

So far as effects, if you want to sound like a flute, you want to filter down to pretty much a pure sine wave. Maybe a little second harmonic.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I thought it might be a flute, it just sounded too perfect to be a woodwind instrument. Guess its possible w/ a great orchestra to sound that clean. Also, sounds kinda low pitched to be a flute. I dont know how to filter down to just a sine wave but i think i understand the theory of a guitars sound wave being more percussive w/ peaks and valleys and a woodwind being a flatter wave? I try to use alot of saturation w/out distortion to get the sustain if that makes sense, when playing this solo. Thanks for the replies, wish i could fit an orchestra in my apt when practicing guitar;)

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The flute tone is a smooth, rounded waveform, mostly fundamental tone and a little second harmonic.

An old fashioned Hammond organ can do a nice flute sound, as can any synth.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

I don't know about the recording, but in concert here a few years ago, they used a flute. (All right, it was more than a few years ago!)

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There are also guitar synths (midi guitar) that will handle this. Even the lowly Pandora PX4 has a flute patch that is usable, though it sounds a bit Hammond-like ... which is cool too. Come to think of it, that solo could work as a classic B3 with the right touch.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Not sure about the solo, but the original song was played on a Melotron. The solo might be a flute or a synthesized one.

(The Melotron never really caught on, did it? Chicks dig the Melotron...)

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The original solo was (and still is when the band plays) done on flute by Moody Ray Thomas (who wrote songs like Dr. Livingston I Presume, For My Lady, and Legend Of A Mind (that's the one that goes, "...Timothy Leary's dead...") among many others. The "violins" in then main part of the song until the third verse, are done on the melotron and the whole orchestra joins in on the last verse.

Hope that helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

(The Melotron never really caught on, did it? Chicks dig the Melotron...)

There are no longer enough mind-altered music techs alive to keep a Melotron playing for more than 5 minutes.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote