Noise in my effects loop...

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@grant_brown)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Firstly, hello! How is everyone?
Secondly, i hope this is the right area.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for setting up my effects loop. Ive been using 2 x 150W randall warhead solid state amps and generally use only a few effects - a boss chorus, mxr KFK 10 band EQ and a digitech delay pedal. I then run a whammy pedal and crybaby from hell straight into my 2 amps with a boss harmonist (simply for the 2 outputs, so i can wah/dive on both amps). When i try to use my effects loop, i then use a rocktron super C hush silencer unit.

The trouble i'm having is that when i run all these straight into my amp, i get very little noise, but when i run the modulators in the effects loop, using the rocktron silencer, i get more noise (i have to dial in the gate so hard to cut it, which makes my tone fuzzy and die quicker). To me, this seems odd, as generally you hear people having the problem the other way around...

Obviously, you could say "just run them straight in then", but i'd prefer to try some new setups - i'd like to try the old trick of guitar>EQ>Preamp>EQ>speakers (eg, have an EQ in the effects loop, and before the amp). However, until i can sort this out, then the noise is pretty much a non-incentive.

Just as a final note, i believe i am setting up the loop correctly, with the Send going to the rocktron input, and return to the output...

Any suggestions for how to improve the setup? is there a possibility that its just that the Rocktron is not that good?