Clear all

North Korea has the bomb!

28 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

And last night I saw the guitar industry's first reaction! The new Schecter's no longer have the "Made in Korea" sticker or lettering on the back of the headstock. They now say "Crafted in South Korea". I thought that was interesting.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Just a head's up, all of the following are great ideas for this thread:

How the quality of guitars changes base on location of manufacture
Korean made guitars in general
Schecter guitars, where have they been made
Other concessions to recent events made by guitar manufacturers in order to remove negative perceptions
Are there any North Korean made guitars?

Politics is out as usual...

Now I understand the shift to add the word South to the label, but why "crafted"?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

'Crafted' implies that it wasn't just thrown together by people who don't care (rightly or wrongly :)), 'made' is indifferent.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Fender did the same with their Japanese-made guitars. The old, top quality manufacture was all marked "Made in Japan", whereas the newer stuff - after early to mid-90s - (which I don't think is a s good as the 80s stuff) now carries "Crafted in Japan". But what made Fender change?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Fender did the same with their Japanese-made guitars. The old, top quality manufacture was all marked "Made in Japan", whereas the newer stuff - after early to mid-90s - (which I don't think is a s good as the 80s stuff) now carries "Crafted in Japan". But what made Fender change?

My understanding is that MIJ used parts that were primarily sourced from Japan, whereas CIJ uses parts primarily sourced elsewhere, shipped to Japan for assembly - NOT by Fender Japan, possibly Tokai - then sent to the US or wherever for final sale. Of course, "Crafted in Japan" is much sexier than "Assembled in Japan."

Anyway, I did some research when I bought my CIJ Mustang bass and that's what I found. May be totally wrong.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That's quite possible.

Another thing is that the 80s guitars were all labelled Squier - like the famous JV and Silver Series. I think the modern gear is all labelled Fender.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Apart from the whole bomb issue I think most people in the western world would consider South-Korea to be a more technology advanced and modern nation then North-Korea. I usually don't care where my guitars come from and I wouldn't be thinking about politics in a music store too much but I would be very woried if my guitar would read 'Made in North-Korea'. Seems a very logical and sane move to me.

As for crafted vs made, I think that's a 'language fashion' kinda thing. To many crap factories 'made' things, so now it's called 'crafted'. Pretty sure that's gonna change to 'created' after a little while as every crap factory also starts to use the 'crafted' word. As an analogy, in most western nations there are truckloads of words to describe immigrants and after every so long the words get a negative connotation and a new word is chosen for the next five years. It's stupid but apparantly it makes civilised discussions more easily.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lovingly assembled by artisans who reside in a far away land. Any water spots you see on the finish are the tears of the craftsman at having to let such a fine instrument go.

I guess that would be too long for the label.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

well, woodworking is a craft. crafting sounds so much nicer than "made" They want to imply that someone's hands constructed and fashioned your instrument with care and precision rather simply slapping it together.

in my english classes i teach "close reading" which basically means you pick out single words and explain how they are effective in the piece you are reading. people choose their words (usually) with a purpose, and crafted definitely has a purpose over other words.

plus, im sure they DO want to remove themselves from the north korea mess in a world where perception is everything. while i dont care where my guitars are made, others might freak out to have a (possibly) north korean guitar.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Lovingly assembled by artisans who reside in a far away land. Any water spots you see on the finish are the tears of the craftsman at having to let such a fine instrument go.

Oooooow..... I likey! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

As an analogy, in most western nations there are truckloads of words to describe immigrants and after every so long the words get a negative connotation and a new word is chosen for the next five years. It's stupid but apparantly it makes civilised discussions more easily.
Political correctness gone mad. Err, sorry, Political correctness which has become mental-stability challenged :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I guess that would be too long for the label.

"Labawriafal"?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

in my english classes i teach "close reading" which basically means you pick out single words and explain how they are effective in the piece you are reading. people choose their words (usually) with a purpose, and crafted definitely has a purpose over other words.

Brian, I hope you are not teaching punctuation and capitalization in your English classes!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

That's quite possible.

Another thing is that the 80s guitars were all labelled Squier - like the famous JV and Silver Series. I think the modern gear is all labelled Fender.

My MIJ strat was "made in Japan" I traced the serial # and it was made in 1989. It seems to be very well made. Its 15 years old and has held up well :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that they changed a lot around in the early 90s, which is when "Crafted..." came in, I'm told.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2