Clear all

Is your Guitar Center like this?

15 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... I had a spare hour last night so on the way home I stopped at my local Guitar Center... as usualy I was overwhlemed when first stepping in by the sheer number of guitars on display. After a 10 minute walk-through, I found out (as I normally do) that sheer volume is really all it is... here is my summary:

65-85 Les Paul and SG guitars mad by Gibson or Epiphone
65-85 Strat and Tele guitars made by Fender (MIM or Squier)
20 Schecters
25 Ibanez (12 solidbody, 13 hollowbody Artcore)
4 - 10 Jackson's strewn about randomly
7 Gretsch
9 Epiphone Dots
...and (for some reason) and entire corner or island display of BC Rich

As for other types of guitars... here is what you might see:
1 Gibson Explorer
1 Gibson Flying V
5 PRS hanging 20 feet off the ground

If you want to look at any guitars not mentioned above you have to hope that there are some used guitars lying around.

I know that GC can only carry so many brands - and probably have requirements or limitations to those brands based on the OTHER brands they carry - but it is amazing how all the guitars there are the same. In fact, even if you look at the 85 LP/SG guitars that they have, they only carry the "main" models - standard, classic, studio. The Gibson website lists about 15 different Les Paul styles, but good luck finding one at GC to test. (FYI, I was hoping to see the BFG model).

Anyway... just venting, I guess. But the name of the store is GUITAR CENTER! Come on! It isn't called "The Guitar Cubby". Not "Guitar Corner". Not "Some Guitars and Other Stuff". Not, "Guitars and Drums and Miscellaneous Music". Not even, "Guitar Boutique". It is GUITAR CENTER. The place where you can go to see guitars. With that many guitars you'd hope there would be some variety.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

They are clearly volume driven, and volume goes to the big brands.

Same thing with acoustics, though I was pleasantly surprised to recently spot a handful of Breedloves at one of my two local GCs.

Fortunately there are a couple of mom & pop stores within driving distance that carry brands like G&L, Seagull, Rickenbacker, Alvarez (inc. Yairi), Guild, Blueridge, etc.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Two GC's by me; one in Rockford, Ill., the other in Madison, WI., both are exactly the same as you describe. :roll: I'll usually go to a local dealer if I want to check out anything besides a "big name" brand.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

... and of those guitars, probably only 3-5 lefty's. It's very frustrating to be a south paw.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@digital-inkwell)

Yeah, the GC near me is exactly like that. I'm lucky enough to have a Sam Ash 10 minutes away in Ontario, CA.

Even still, they suffer a bit of that brand name tunnel vision.

List of what i had to buy online since i couldn't find it anywhere else...

Dean Hardtail Select
Grover 18:1 Locking Tuners
Zoom G2.1U
Boss EQ20
Planet Waves Patch Cord Kit

Oh yeah.... and a PLAIN Leather strap !! I mean sheesh !!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Guitar center is definatly restricted when it comes to variety. It's worse when it comes to amps. I don't like Marshall, Vox, or Fender that much. The only amps I've ever liked at GC are the Epi's (a. I bought one, b. they no longer carry them here) and the B-52's. The one thing I don't agree with is the acoustic section. My guitar center has a great selection of acoustics. The sales associates at my guitar center even recommend the smaller brands to you. Yamaha is a big brand, but not in acoustics. When I told the gentleman what I was looking for, he showed me a yamaha and 2 other gutiars from brands I had never heard of before.

For me the killer is The GC in Colonie, NY is the closest music store to me period, besides Daddy's Junky Music. I won't go to there because they insulted me once by offering me 25 dollars for my clarinet. Ended up bringing that to a place 45 minutes away. They gave me 100. They don't carry guitars though.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, it's a business though. They carry what sells best, and what sell best are Fenders and Gibsons, badabing badaboom, that's what they got.

If they carried more of the other guitars, they'd be losing a lot of money on them.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got a Sam Ash right across the street from a GC. A lot more variety with electrics, but it's hard to beat GC's accoustic selection. The local shop I used to frequent had a mini-GC line-up, so I never had a reason to go to GC after I discovered the local place. Local place is gone now, so I guess it's Sam Ash and GC.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i hate both of those places. they have the rudest damn salesmen anywhere, regardless of where you go. i'm still always in there, though.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

In my place there are hardly any music stores so the one or two which carry imported guitars charge out of the horizon prices.

I somehow found a Squier Standard Lefty guitar selling for 375 $ (and it goes on MF for 230 $) in my place with no accessories.Its really bad...I wonder when GC comes to New Delhi...they are gonna make heavy and i mean 'heavy' sales.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Yeah but where else can you play a $1200 guitar just to see how it feels/sounds/plays gotta give them credit for that.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

The Guitar Centers I've been to are just as described - heavy on the Fenders and Gibsons and light on everything else. They're kind of the Walmart of guitar stores but as pointed out, you do have the opportunity to try out relatively expensive guitars. Plus, I can always find double ball end strings.

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Within about 10 miles of me are two GCs - same stock, pretty much. Both stores also have 3-5 'collector' guitars (a 1940s L-5, an early ES335, etc) which are overpriced, and in some cases in poor condition.

The local retailers who didn't shut their doors when the GCs opened have adapted - Tobias Music, near one of them, carries only high end acoustics: Martin, Taylor, Santa Cruz, etc, and has an oustanding repair shop. Near the other one is Hix Brothers, which has the full line of Taylors, a better selection of electronics than GC, and great service.

Wal Mart put the mediocre mom & pops out of business, but I don't think they hurt the Neimann-Marcus type stores; the same is true in music. If you carry great merchandise and have a well-trained staff, you'll attract the customers who buy for value rather than price.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i live in nyc. you would think that there would be great guitar stores here but there isn't. there's a couple stores i know of that sell only or mostly vintage guitars. there's one store i know that sells cheap guitars. one or two that have a fairly decent selection. then there's Mandolin Brothers which is a pretty famous place but mainly sells acoustic, however, if you're looking for a high end acoustic then Mandolin brothers is the place. I got a good price on my Martin.

There are two Guitar Centers. One in Brooklyn, one in Manahattan. The Manhattan one has or had pretty good used guitars and I got a good deal on my used Daisy Rock there. Otherwise they're both your standard Guitar Centers with the usual epiphones, squiers etc.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Yep, the GC near me is pretty much like that. But they also have some reasonably priced PRS, used vintage stuff, a large acoustic room, a deluxe guitar room called "The Vault" where everything is locked up or nailed down (which could have a whole lot more in it). Still, when I first went in I have to admit I was in awe.

The thing I hate most is their complete lack of service and most of the salespeople's total lack of knowledge of product (and lack of desire to gain said knowledge). This is why I will go elsewhere unless I'm completely full of GAS. :shock:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote