Clear all

Oh them blues......they gots me so bad

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok - I need some help here guys. Every now and then I'll hear a particular kind of blues music that I absolutely love - but I have no idea what kind of blues it is or how I can learn to play it.

Last Sunday I caught a guy playing before my friend's band at the local. He had borrowed my friend's bass player, and their drummer borrowed my mate's drums. Anyway this guy totally rocked! A lot of it was stage presence for sure, but he was playing this blues music that every single person in the bar was tapping, nodding or howling along to. He was alternating between playing a steel guitar with a slide and an acoustic guitar that he was bending almost like an electric. The acoustic stuff was what I was really interested in (although the steel sounded awesome).

I have a lot of blues in my collection but I can't seem to find anything that sounds as energetic or with as much groove as this guy. I admit I haven't spent a huge amount of time learning blues in my guitar career (to my detriment), but nothing I have learned so far comes close.

The best I can describe this blues I'm searching for is energetic with a groove that you can't help but nod your head and stomp your foot along with. It uses chords mixed up with well timed blues licks. It doesn't sound cheesy and it's not finger plucked - the guy bashes away with serious energy. It doesn't sound like a typical 12 bar blues type thing. As far as I can tell, it doesn't sound like BB, Clapton, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Mississippi Joe Hurt, SRV..... I could imagine this guy just jamming in his house for hours on end without getting bored by it.

I have heard this kind of blues before...but I can't think of other examples right now.

I know I'm not giving you much to go on......I just want to learn kickin' acoustic blues!!! Please help if you can!!

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Maybe ask your mates in the band? do they know him or did he just turn up and play? he might have released some stuff you could buy and learn from?? ...I don't know what else to tell you without hearing some of it...

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Based on your description it sounds a lot like a boogie to me. If I am not mistaken it could be the Chicago Blues style. Have a look at Olav Torvund's site and listen to some of the midi's he has. He has several different styles but I can almost guess what you're looking for is a boogie. Listen to several boogies because they are all different.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

check out Muddy Waters. some good boogie blues in his stuff.

there are many blues genres. some have a bouncy feel some more dark and driving.
Delta, Memphis styles are distinct; and there are many more styles.
trouble is finding the name of the artist.
sometimes blues players are in open tunings.
you get a whole different voice then.
that'l add some mystery to understanding just what they're playing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Sweet home Chicago always gets me tapping I agree it might be chicago blues...on a side note don't you just love music that has deep roots, there are enough variations to it to keep ya busy for a looooong time :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I guess the first thing to figure out is whether it is played in shuffle or straight time. Its hard to answer your question without hearing it, but I'm guessing a good part of it was just the sheer energy. Obviously, it has to sound like something, but spirit can do a lot.

My advice would be to track down the guy somehow and ask him :D

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

I forgot about Olav's site - I went there a long time ago but it looks a lot bigger and better now. I'll have a look through his sound files and check them out. I'll also chase up my friend and ask him about it and make sure if i see that guy again that I ask him who he sold his soul to and where I can do the same.

For you Sydney-siders out there who might be interested, this was at the Excelsior in Glebe on Sunday night...

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Hey Mike I also forgot about Olav's site. Thanx. There is enough info there to do me till I get my brown envelope!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Definetly report back and let us know what you found out. Good Luck.

ReplyQuote