Clear all

Opinions on Masterbilt series

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@iraesq)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hope this is the right forum for this issue.

I am a progressing beginner currently playing a Yamaha F325 (which has been fine for my purposes to date). I am looking to upgrade to a better quality, better sounding acoustic. I've been playing a few guitars at various music stores. I had been leaning towards a Martin 000-16GT, but it was a bit pricey for me. Then I recently played the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M at Guitar Center. It was very impressive...great, full sound and easy to play. It was also more reasonably priced for me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR500M-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518105

So here are my questions:

1. Any particular positives or negatives people have had with the DR-500M?

2. Any opinions on how it compares to the Martin?

3. Any other suggestions on guitars I should try that are comparable in quality and price to the DR-500M.

Thanks in advance.

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Look into the yamaha's. I like their acoustics more than most that I've tried.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@gobes)

A couple of months ago I was considering buying a new acoustic guitar. Of all the guitars that I tried my favorite was the epiphone masterbilt dr-500m. I returned to the store 5 days in a row to make sure that that one was my favorite, and it was. In the end I didn't end up buying it because I already have an acoustic, but I think that it was a great guitar. I liked it much better than others that cost much more.

So fwiw, I like that guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i've heard and read nothing bad about the masterbuilt series, but having said that i have played one at MF and for the money i think this Washburn is a better deal and plays just as nice
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-F52SW-Timbercraft-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515199
it's also all solid wood and unlike the Epi it comes with a bone nut & saddle as well as a hard case. not bad for $50 less

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've played a couple of these at the local GC, and was impressed with the feel and tone. Didn't much care for the satin finish on the ones they had - seemed too thick, but that's only cosmetic. Comes with the nicest gig bag I've ever seen!

In the same price range there are excellent guitars from Alvarez, Breedlove, Seagull and Blueridge (among lesser-known brands). Also Guild has one or two models close to that price, I think. Play them all, if you can! :)

Also, the Epi EF-500M is probably more comparable to the Martin 000, at least in size.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-EF500M-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518173

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote