Clear all

Out of tune every 5 minutes!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well I recently just purchased an epiphone....and of course I have been playing it non stop but it goes out of tune in only a matter of minutes (I may be exagerating 8) ), whereas my squier could stay in tune 2 times as long. Anyone have a solution to this

(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Assuming you bought it new, it may well take a little time to settle in. My current Squier Standard Tele really worried me to begin with, continually going out of tune, but as it had such a lovely tone I persevered, and resisted the temptation to start swapping tuners and stuff. After a couple of months it wasn't too bad at all. Now, 3 years on, it stays in tune slightly better than my 1978 Strat!

One other thing - a new guitar will have new strings. They will take time to stretch. Make sure, too, that there's not a big bunch of string wound round and round and round the peg of each tuner. Have a look at the excellent advice on changing strings in Alan Horvath's article on GuitarNoise. This is the way to do it if you want to stay in tune!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, PVTele is correct. A new neck takes a little time to settle in, especially if the guitar was in storage for months with the strings detuned. Give it a week or two.

You probably already know this, but always tune UP to a note, never down. If you are using a tuner and a string is slightly sharp, detune the string below the note and then tune up to it. This is an important trick to tuning that will prevent strings from going out of tune.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

You probably already know this, but always tune UP to a note, never down. If you are using a tuner and a string is slightly sharp, detune the string below the note and then tune up to it. This is an important trick to tuning that will prevent strings from going out of tune.

Good point, Wes - I should have mentioned that, since I always do it - it's amazing how many people forget, just as I did, to point this out when explaining how to tune your guitar :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

What epiphone is it. Obiviously there will be a difference amongst some models. Loops are important also. I think the magic number is 3 loops around the pole, but different people might have variations. Make sure you have enough to keep it solid.

Hopefully though it is the new neck setting in. Best of luck with it!

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Have a look at the end of the knob, on the tuners. You may see a small screw, if so, and if the other suggestions don't have any effect, you could try to tighten the screws up a little. It makes the tuner harder to turn, but will stop them slipping.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

a proffesional set up is a good idea also 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

I would wait on the professional setup for a while though, because if it is the neck adjusting they will charge you 60bucks of shop time to fix something that is going to get undone in a couple weeks. :( Also... Is it a tremelo guitar? Because most tremelos really suck and cant be used because they will detune your guitar to death hehe.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

What epiphone is it. Obiviously there will be a difference amongst some models. Loops are important also. I think the magic number is 3 loops around the pole, but different people might have variations. Make sure you have enough to keep it solid.

Hopefully though it is the new neck setting in. Best of luck with it!

was thinking the same thing, my suggestion would be to make sure your 1st and 2nd string has 6 loops around the tuning post and the other four have 3. If you do this, then when you first put strings on, the guitar will only lose tune the first day cause the strings need time to strech.

And like someone else asked, Is it a tremelo guitar? Cause I also agree with that!

ReplyQuote