Clear all

Painful GAS Pt. II... the winner!

22 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So today I went to two music shops to check fit of guitars - here's a picture of the winner:

I found nothing i tried felt as good playing than the Firebird. The PRS SE neck is actually too wide nearer the body (my fingers are fat AND short :( ) I put a strap on it and was prepared for it to be off balance as read in descriptions, but it sits better than my Turser did. I even plugged it in today :D and did not want to put it down. Some adjustment of course but I don't think it will take long at all. The sound is much brighter than the Turser, have to redo my amp settings.

The other reason for my trip to the stores was to find another (better) case than the Epiphone offering - there are not many. It came down to Gator's Extreme:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GWExtreme-Guitar-Case?sku=545843

Or the SKB 63:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-ExplorerFirebird-Type-Hardshell-Guitar-Case?sku=547006

I wanted a traditional shape, but the Gator case uses foam and I prefer plush, so I'm going with the SKB. Plus the cover material on the Turser's Gator case scuffs, nicks, or worse if you look at it funny. Unfortunately the online store I bought from is doing server maintenance today, but they're open 24/7 so I'll return/replace tomorrow. Shame no one had it locally.

All in all, it worked out great. My wife calls it my new toy, but y'all know its way more than that.

:note2:

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OOOH, that's one sweeeeeeet looking guitar! If it sounds as good as it looks, you're in for endless hours of pleasure. Congrats on your new best friend!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I'm feeling a twinge of jealousy. Or perhaps envy is a better word. :)

Congratulations regardless! That is one sweet axe!

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you! I keep walking in to our office/music room to take a look at it! It sounds...mean. I can't wait until I can crank it up (Monday) :twisted: Once we really get acquainted, who knows?

That said, I did order the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod set; that and a graphite nut may do it for mods. For now. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats & enjoy! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice guitar! :note2:

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

:mrgreen:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

:mrgreen: ... :note2: Cuz I'm jealous, jealous again... :note2: :mrgreen:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I'm not really into electrics although I do like the look of Les Pauls, yet I really like your axe. Its like a slab of wood with strings.

Lovely. Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Welcome to the Firebird owners club.

We meet on thursdays. Bring food. But not potato salad.

Looks like a nice axe. Even has the traditional banjo tuners (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Let us know how cranking it up goes.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

whoa. nice Firebirds. the banjo tuners are a nice touch. G.S...your white bird is really beautiful. whoa.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your new Firebird, she's a beauty. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

When do we get the cranked report and maybe a soundbite? :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wow, nice Firebirds, you two!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Welcome to the Firebird owners club.

We meet on thursdays. Bring food. But not potato salad.

Looks like a nice axe. Even has the traditional banjo tuners (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Let us know how cranking it up goes.

Man, that white and the full inlays are beautiful! After seeing that I know I won't rest until the dots are replaced! Not sure what banjo tuners are so that's probably the case (the tuning knobs are underneath the headstock). Confused the heck out of me at first :)

I'll try to get clips of before and after sound, my SD's should arrive today if UPS is reliable (usually are).

Will have a shoulder smoked and ready for the meeting!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2