Clear all

Pentatonic Scales

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

After so many years of playing, I've finally decided to make an effort to develop some more technique, especially speed. I've found that doing repitition chromatically and speeding up and doing alternate picking and all that is great for building speed.. but I'm not learning much.

I want to learn the pentatonic scales... if somebody could post a formula for each form of the scale or something I'd appreciate it (a tab would be great, but I'm an experienced musician and can translate the formula).

By the way, when I say each form, I mean like.. the major, minor, and whatever else there may be.

- reality

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The pentatonics are easy - take the 4th and 7th scale degrees out of the major scale and the 2nd and 6th out of the minor scale.

If you compare the major scale to it's relative minor, you'll see that they are exactly the same notes.
Take C - C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C and find the 4th and 7th - F & B.

Now find the relative minor of C - it's found at the 6th degree of the major scale, so it's A and it's minor

Aminor - A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A - the 2nd and 6th are B and F - exactly the same notes that were removed from the relative major (they're called relative because they contain the same notes)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If you want to see where the notes are at visit the site in Greybeards signature.^

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

A good lesson to build up speed is to play the 4th, 5th & 6th strings of the blues scale (minor pentatonic with a flat 5 added). Try this in the 'E' form. For instance, A minor at the 5th fret. Just focus on the lower half of the scale. Then try the upper half. It works nicely to help build alternate picking and speed.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Or here: http://www.cyberfret.com/theory/pentatonic-scales/index.php

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote