Pick Vs Fingers

44 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
11.8 K Views
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

No one should feel they have to use a pick just because 90 percent of guitar players use them.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't read things thast aren't there into what I stated, I also mentioned do what you like but the fact that the majority of players use a pick is reality, he can decide which group he wants to be in.

Statistically most people use picks thats just the facts that doesn't preclude anyone else from not using one but that is not the norm for playing guitar.

It isn't an opinion it's just the way it is.

If most are doing it it can't be that wrong.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Don't read things thast aren't there into what I stated

Not to be rude, but this isn't all about you. TWO members have observed they felt they SHOULD use picks in spite of being more comfortable with fingers. And that "should" stuff is unnecessary.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It's always about me..Ha J/K

Seriously though it really depends in my mind. I totally agree it's a choice and no one should feel pressured to do one thing over the other but...there's always a but.

I think they have to ask themselves why they are doing it. Are they just giving up to easily? Using a pick when you first start isn't the easiest thing but either is playing chords or most of the stuff so what do they do look for another way to play everything?

If you really like the sound of fingers or if playing fingerstyle is waht you want to do then go for it otherwise personally I'd say work on your pick skills like everything else and sooner or later it will come naturally.

These questions are always posted by beginner's that are usually having trouble using a pick so their first question is it OK to use my fingers.

Whatever floats your boat.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I do see your point, and many times had the feeling that I was "giving up". I fought for a few years and did get better with using it.... but it still felt "wrong" to me. As I got more into using my fingers....just normal strumming at the time, I learned to like the sound of it, and to me it sounded more like "me" then just copying other guitarists. So granted in my music I dont have a intrest in sounding like others, or doing note for note stuff. [not that thats a problem at all ] So to me it fits into my playing life. I like the more complex, and thicker sound on accustic, and I like being the diferent, odd man out on electric sounding a little diferent then most others on the electric. Im all about being quirky. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I fought for a few years and did get better with using it.... but it still felt "wrong" to me. As I got more into using my fingers....just normal strumming at the time, I learned to like the sound of it, and to me it sounded more like "me" then just copying other guitarists. So granted in my music I dont have a intrest in sounding like others, or doing note for note stuff. [not that thats a problem at all ] So to me it fits into my playing life. I like the more complex, and thicker sound on accustic, and I like being the diferent, odd man out on electric sounding a little diferent then most others on the electric. Im all about being quirky. :D

That's my kind of musician, right there. 8)

I never had any problems playing with a pick once I learned how to hold it (with just a tiny bit of the tip emerging from your fist), & that you don't have to play all six strings at once. I did notice years later that many of the players I admired played with fingers -- Ry Cooder, Mark Knopfler, Tom Verlaine. And I think my playing got more serious when I dropped the pick, because I had to drop the cliches I'd learned with the pick. The old patterns didn't work anymore. Had to focus more closely.

For me the guitar is about FREEDOM. If I want to play scales & exercises & follow rules, there's the piano & violin for that kind of fun. If I'm playing for keeps, I'll pick up the bass guitar. The six-string is where I go to play.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Kinda a reach calling me a Musician. :D

I tell you, once I settled on it, I was realy inspired by Mark Knopfler also.. Him and also Derk Trucks. To see how much they can get out of the guitar is AMAZING!! To me it was that they are not being heldback by not using one, [thought Knopfler has said he does at times for rythem tracks...] but would have been held back if they DID use one.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Quirky is OK being different is OK.

Also I wasn't sure what you meant about the note for note thing not sure what that's suppose to mean? If you play with your fingers you don't play the correct notes or what? What does that have to do with how you play a song.
I was realy inspired by Mark Knopfler also.. Him and also Derk Trucks. To see how much they can get out of the guitar is AMAZING!! To me it was that they are not being heldback by not using one, [thought Knopfler has said he does at times for rythym tracks...] but would have been held back if they DID use one.

This is kinda of what Diceman was alluding too it's funny that once you decided to go with your fingers you got inspired by Mark Knopfler and the amazing things he could do but what about the 8 million other guitarists that can do amazing things with a pick?

Not trying to bust you just like to play devils advocate.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Very true, and dont feel like your busting on me at all. I wasnt clear on the note for note thing. I was refering to note, for note, tone for tone trying to copy a song. Agean, not that thats bad.. just not me.

And good point about the other players. Im pretty random on guitar players ive looked up to over the years... some played with, some without, some bolth... heck.. some play with fingerpicks. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

NP it's all just a good debate. Yes tone will definitely be different using your fingers but the actual notes are up to you on how you want to play a song I won't get in my rant about covers/note for note stuff.

As for tone and using your fingers maybe the reason I never really tried was I don't particularly like any of the artists (all 3 of them) people seem to want to use as the poster boys for not using a pick.

Although all are very technically competent players none of there music does much for me, although I seriously doubt it has anything to do with them not using a pick but they would not be people I'd want to emulate.

But this again is similar to a golf analogy not everyone has the same swing on the PGA Tour but doesn't necessarily mean they can't play because all of them play at a very high level and you can always find exceptions to everything.

Personally I had a lot of trouble with a pick at first maybe for about the first 3 years until I finally started to get comfortable with it. I would drop it all the time I thought I'd never be able to play but I never really wanted to play with my fingers so I just kept at it. I haven't dropped a pick in a few years now. There alot of different ways to hold a pick to get a different tone out of it. You can hold it looser when strumming and tighten up and shorten it when soloing etc.

For the music I like to play I don't see getting the tone out of my fingers

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

The only reason I replied to this post in the first place was that I was seeing it start to get dominated by the very vocal minority of non-pick users . I didn't want the beginners to be swayed by a minority view presented as the majority .
There are certainly advantages to playing without a pick , and I'll leave it to the fingerpickers to point them out . I do know that in my own case , being righthanded , there have been many times when a finger injury to my right hand would have made it difficult , if not impossible , to play the guitar with only my fingers . As an avid basketball player and doing mechanical work for a living , finger injuries were pretty common . The bottom line is , do what is right for you but don't give up on anything because you can't get it easily . Just keep playing !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

What do you think guys?
I personally find it easier playing without a pick, but it feels like sometimes the guitar sounds sooo much better using a pick :roll:

I use both. Sometimes in the same lick. As my old guitar teacher once said, "Use what gets it done." I learned hybrid picking from day one - it's the only way to fly ;)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I find it interesting that a strongly expressed minority opinion makes some people so insecure. The jackbooted Fingerstyle Police are not coming to take anyone's picks away.

It's much more likely that a new player might be led to think he has to use a pick than to think he has to play fingerstyle. (See posts upthread.) A beginner certainly should work with the pick, because ultimately the more technique you have, the more you'll be able to play, but if one has no affinity for the pick, it's not a sin to drop it & play the other way.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I find it interesting that a strongly expressed opinion makes the expressor think it's right . The Jackbooted Fingerstyle Police are nothing but an unruly gaggle of superior feeling guitarists who take delight in being different for the sake of being different . Great , you are unique , just like everyone else .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I find it interesting that a strongly expressed opinion makes the expressor think it's right .

Where exactly did "right" and "wrong" come into this discussion? Please be specific.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3