Clear all

Picking up radio signals

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@davisaggie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My church just formed a praise band and ever since I've been playing in it I've noticed something odd. I have a '78 Music Man Sabre that is connected to two pedals and then into the "amp". Before we got all our sound equipment I was connecting into my Bheringer GX110 amp, but now I connect directly to the mixing board (through a DI box). With either set up we have noticed that when I am plugged in you can faintly hear a radio station coming through the speakers. If I disconnect the pedals the same thing happens. The only way it goes away is to turn down the sound level to the guitar.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any thoughts on a) why it's happening, and b) how to fix it?

Thanks

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Had it happen briefly in a guitar I was rewiring. Turned out one of my ground wires had disconnected. Then I learned how to solder properly. :lol: Went away after I reconnected the wire.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

This happened to me once when I had a ground loop. Basically what this means is that my wah pedal was plugged into a different circut than my amp.
Then again, it happened when you disconnected your pedals...hmmm....

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I had a Strat that did that before I shielded it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

My strat knockoff's neck pickup gets the Jim Rome show, I had a bass a while back that picked up something in Japanese.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I would check the power circuit. The ground loop might be in their wiring, which could be very dangerous for you . . .

EVERY musician should have a circuit tester to plug into the power supply, something like this

Make sure you're using a three pronged cord into a three prong'ed outlet. NEVER use a ground lift adapter, cut off the ground plug, or any other "fix" that some people employ.

Also make sure that everything else is plugged into proper main wiring. Your circuit might be ok, but the PA might be on a different circuit and that circuit might have a loop in it.

It doesn't hurt to use GFI extention cords either.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Happened to me as well...I couldn't figure it out for some time...Then I rearranged all my gear when I got the desk and it went away.

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

yea i am in the mountains here in colorado and with my carvin X100b i pick up radio china .. strange thing is if i turn the volume knobs on the guit up to max the chinese seems to disappear

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Turning the guitar's tone knobs DOWN might make it go away, too. (Shunts high frequencies to ground through the tone capacitor.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

for my situation i wonder if it is due to a few factors i have not resolved
a 20 ft cable to my wah to another 20 footer to the guit
all to only go 10 ft.
or as suggested before could be that i have the amp through the power conditioner and the wah into a wall plug elsewhere
also a mod to the system which i noticed whist resoldering the tubes, it has several cables which seemed to be sheilded, but maybe i should throw a few ferrite clamps on them ?

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I'm not really an electronics guy like Ricochet, but I believe this problem is usually related to shielding. Many times if a guitar is not shielded properly, it and your cord can act like an antenna. In your case, possibly your amp is not shielded properly.

This is called Audio Rectification. Here is a an article about it.

http://spectrum.ic.gc.ca/~emi/htmlen/radio/audio.html

I think everybody experiences this once in awhile. Once I was practicing guitar when suddenly the Police started talking over my amp. I pulled the curtain back and looked outside just as a Police cruiser drove by. I think this is the only time my amp has done this.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A ferrite bead on the lead to the grid of the input tube can be very helpful. So can a small capacitor, say 100 pF, between that lead and ground, after the "grid stopper" series resistor. If you're really shadetree (like me), you can even take a couple of turns of the insulated grid lead around a steel screw. That'll stop RF quite well.

I'm not really serious about keeping your tone turned all the way down on your guitar, but it could be a quick fix if the guitar's picking up the signal, and it's also a test to see if that's where it's happening.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can try tying a knot, in the lead. A bow is prettier (and more effective), but not, necessarily, anything for a metal fan :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

could for my case, this be the instrument cabling. as i staed before i have 40 ft of cable ..amp>wah>guit
to get 10 feet. do you suppose i am creating a service loop of sorts and turning the 100wtt amp into a big radio receiver?

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

could for my case, this be the instrument cabling. as i staed before i have 40 ft of cable ..amp>wah>guit
to get 10 feet. do you suppose i am creating a service loop of sorts and turning the 100wtt amp into a big radio receiver?
It's the cable, becoming a huge antenna - so either use shielded cable or put in one of the suggested mods, to all of your current cables.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2