Clear all

Pickups for sludge/stoner rock

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I really love playing heavy, down tuned, fuzzy sludge rock here are a few examples to give you an idea:
Black Sabbath (original Gods :twisted: )
Dozer
Electric Wizard
Fu Manchu
Goatsnake
Hermano
High On Fire
Karma To Burn
Kyuss
Lowrider
Monster Magnet
Orange Goblin
Saint Vitus
Sleep
Spirit Caravan
Unida

and so on

Other than playing in drop d tuning or drop c tuning and cranking the distortion all the way up, I was looking to buy some new pickups. Can anyone suggest some pickups that would maximize hard rocking heavy metal fuzz.

Thanks!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Humbuckers, Soapbars, Singles, Tele?

What type of guitar / pickup routes do you have?

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

budget matters too. I know the Seymour Duncan sight has some sound bytes worth listening too. As a cheaper alternative, I got some meaty sounding ones from Guitarfetish for my cheapo Ibanez GAX-70 that beefed up the sound. Having said that, we don't play the same stuff, so take that into consideration.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Nexion, you have great taste in music! I listen to a lot of those bands myself, and a few others in the genre. That is the type of music I am into also.

I would say, you don't have to change pickups in your guitar. Thru EQ pedals (or an EQ rack) and your distortion pedal you should be able to find your sound. However, if you really want to change the sound of your guitar with new pickups, try this site

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html

This is the one rparker suggested. They are going to be who I use, when I next take on the task of changing some pick ups.

My personal opinion is to use Humbuckers or P-90's (or humbucker sized p-90's) for a more full sound.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Right now my Ibanez has its stock pickups:
humbucker at bridge
single-coil at middle
single-coil at neck
http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA260FM&z=y

How do I know what pickups will fit into the cuts already made on my guitar?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Right now my Ibanez has its stock pickups:
humbucker at bridge
single-coil at middle
single-coil at neck
http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SA260FM&z=y

How do I know what pickups will fit into the cuts already made on my guitar?

take it to a guitar store and ask the luthier what would fit in it or you could have him cut new holes.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Nah man, dont worry about cutting new routes. Dude you can use all kinds of things.

Your obviously doing alot of high gain stuff. But honestly I would avoid the Seymour Duncan Invaders and pickups like this. Not a whole lot of clarity from these.

Duncan all around! SH-6 Duncan Distortion in the bridge and JB jr in the neck and a JB jr in the middle.

this is a great set of pickups by the way. It gives you almost every tone and add the fact that EVERY one of the pickups are four conducters so you can tap, cut, parallel, series, julian, slice, dice, and puree them anyway you like.

Me personally I would slap a JB in the bridge, and two quarter pound staggered single coils. So I could have some clarity and use a push/pull pot to cut the JB for even more versatility.

And to be honest the "Super Distortion" type pickups are not really what gives you that great clarity. They more or less help drive the amp. BUT! If your amp already has great distortion or a pedal or something does it for you. Why add more MUSH on to the top of it? I always try and find a really nice reactive type pickup that can show the nuances of the volume knob or playing softly or just slamming the strings.

Thats why I absolutely love the JB.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Well if your going to shoot for a JB then give me a shout. I have one that is only two weeks old. Way to shrill IMO. I like the custom custom or one of the PATB's for the bridge, and the SHR-1 for the mid and neck or Vintage Rails.

ReplyQuote