Clear all

Pink Floyd Arrangement Question

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, so I'm playing single guitar arrangements of Breathe and Time. Each one on it's own is easy enough. However, in the event that I ge the instestinal fortitude to actually play for others, I want to get the arrangement down.

Here's the scoop. Breathe is two verses. Time is pretty much stand-alone except that at the end is Breathe-Reprise....kind of a third verse for Breathe. I could go from Breathe to Time to Breathe-Reprise, but there's a non-guitar song in between Breathe and Time on Dark Side. I want whatever I do to flow naturally and not have listeners saying "HUH?" .

So, a couple of options. A:) Play Breathe and Breath-Reprise together and treat Time as a seperate song completely. B:) Play Breathe, then Time and then Breathe-Reprise.

Thoughts? Opinions? Other options?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Maybe option C
Play Breathe alone and some time later play Time + Breathe reprise. Breathe can stand alone but it's virtually impossible to play the last chord of Time without DSOTM fans hearing it as the first chord of Breathe reprise. They might be disappointed if you don't follow it through - (I know I would).

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

DSOTM fans
:?: :oops:

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe option C
Play Breathe alone and some time later play Time + Breathe reprise. Breathe can stand alone but it's virtually impossible to play the last chord of Time without DSOTM fans hearing it as the first chord of Breathe reprise. They might be disappointed if you don't follow it through - (I know I would).

Good point. Like a radio station here that did Brain Damage without Eclipse once. :shock:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

DSOTM fans

Dark Side Of The Moon

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Another option would be to do all of Time first and then instead of leading into the "reprise" of Breathe, go into the whole thing. You might raise the ire of purists, but it certainly would work...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Maybe option C
I like the sound of this one. It'd work with just one other song in between, or a few, but I think it'd also be a really nice way to bookend an entire gig.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another option would be to do all of Time first and then instead of leading into the "reprise" of Breathe, go into the whole thing. You might raise the ire of purists, but it certainly would work...

Peace

My playing skills alone will raise anyone's ire. :cry:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe option C
I like the sound of this one. It'd work with just one other song in between, or a few, but I think it'd also be a really nice way to bookend an entire gig.

Another intersting alternative. Thanks!

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

DSOTM fans

Dark Side Of The Moon
* goes to a corner and hangs head in shame *

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member

Wow that is a tough problem indeed. How about trying what David did on Remember That Night. I guess its hard to pull off but right after Breathe, immediately after its done, ring the alarms and then everything transitions smoothly. I don't know how it was done on the DVD but they have sound people everywhere so i guess its easy for them to do it. Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck on finding the solution to this problem.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wow that is a tough problem indeed. How about trying what David did on Remember That Night. I guess its hard to pull off but right after Breathe, immediately after its done, ring the alarms and then everything transitions smoothly. I don't know how it was done on the DVD but they have sound people everywhere so i guess its easy for them to do it. Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck on finding the solution to this problem.

I must confess that I am unfamiliar with what David did with Remember That Night. Got a link or pointer? Thanks!

The DVD did Dark Side cover to cover, so was done like it was...or is....or....well, you know. :oops:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member

Well luckily theres some clips on youtube. unfortunately its split so its kind of hard to see but the first is speak to me/breathe, but the last chord that is played on the first clip is the last chord period. The album version has one more but in this one he skips the chord and just rings the alarms. I guess its kinda hard to understand but if you can somehow get these two clips to play one right after the other without a pause, than you can hear that the transition is smooth. And also, this way you can finish Time along with Breathe reprise and all will sound normal.

Speak to me/breathe
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zHCvpIcl1nE&feature=related

Time
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mrXFZGquD1Y&feature=related

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well luckily theres some clips on youtube. unfortunately its split so its kind of hard to see but the first is speak to me/breathe, but the last chord that is played on the first clip is the last chord period. The album version has one more but in this one he skips the chord and just rings the alarms. I guess its kinda hard to understand but if you can somehow get these two clips to play one right after the other without a pause, than you can hear that the transition is smooth. And also, this way you can finish Time along with Breathe reprise and all will sound normal.

Speak to me/breathe
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zHCvpIcl1nE&feature=related

Time
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mrXFZGquD1Y&feature=related

RE: Breathe to Time: Any reason I can't go from G to F#m to switch songs?

RE: Time to Breathe Reprise: That's the same as on the Pulse Live CD, but I picked up on it this time. The last chord of Time is an Em...which of course starts off 'Reprise. The next time that chord gets played, he goes back to the Emadd9 chord from the sounds of it. So, that part is simple enough. I was going straight to the Emadd9.

Roy

ReplyQuote