Notifications
Clear all

Playing Guitar in the Bathroom

39 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Guess that would be a perfect time to try to duplicate the fabled "Brown Note"...

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@geonjules)
Estimable Member

I tried it, and it sounded like crap...Oh wait. Thats not the guitar!

" Thoughts that pay homage to frustration will attract frustration. When you say or think theres nothing I can do,my life has spun out of control,and I'm trapped,thats what you will attract ".

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

did it 'smell like teen spirit'.....this 'big log'....you gave your 'brown eyed girl' :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

H-mm good songs to try out the bathroom!

"Splish Splash I Was Takin' A Bath". Bobby Darin

"She Came In Through The Bathroom Window". The Beatles

"Silver In The Stubble, (Hear The Razor Roar)". The Spinners (UK Folk Group from Liverpool now sadly disbanded)

Better leave the amp outside though and use only acoustic otherwise you could have an "electrifying experience!" with all that water and steam and end up taking "Three Steps To Heaven" :wink: :wink: :wink:

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have built the perfect guitar for playing in the bath room. I call it ..... The Pottycaster!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nice guitar there.

But Pottycaster can't be original. This term has been used several times before including me.

By the way where is the 'hole' ?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've never played guitar in a bathroom before, but I was doing some intense cleaning yesterday, and I needed to move both my acoustics into the bathroom to sweep the floors. I'm glad no one came in, they probably would have thought I'd lost my mind or something.
Guilty. I love reverb and the bathroom is the next best thing to walking into a local church. I've heared people talk here about church-
bands but playing guitar in a church is unheard of in the Netherlands...

I totally agree with the church thing. There is a nice church in my home town, great architecture, the evening before a wedding I was playing at, me and my cousin, the singer, went down to set up. I played some songs in there just to get the eqs right and stuff, when I unplugged my guitar, I played Lateralus by Tool, and it blew my mind. Sounded amazing. I'd love to record in a nicely built church.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Playing in the bathroom is good enough for great songwriters:

Paul Simon talks about writing The Sound of Silence

“The main thing about playing the guitar, though, was that I was able to sit by myself and play and dream. And I was always happy doing that. I used to go off in the bathroom, because the bathroom had tiles, so it was a slight echo chamber. I'd turn on the faucet so that water would run - I like that sound, it's very soothing to me - and I'd play. In the dark. "Hello darkness, my old friend / I've come to talk with you again". Well, that's the first line. Then it drifts off into some other things. I've always believed that you need a truthful first line to kick you off into a song. You have to say something emotionally true before you can let your imagination wander”.

Sorry, I don't have the original source of the quote, so I can't vouch for its veracity. I found it on the following site, under Paul Simon explains his work:

http://www.thedreamerofmusic.com/principal.htm

Can't say that I've ever tried it. Bathroom's too small 8)

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Gimme Soap, Joanna, on a rope, Joanna
Shower till de mornin' come

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What was that Willy Nelson song with the line about "Thunder from the throne?" Seven Spanish Angels, I think.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Early on in my learning to play I really liked the acoustics in our bathroom, had a few recordings I did in there but I can't seem to find them :evil: I'll post them as soon as i find them. you'll be pleasently suprised at the quality.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

First time I ever recorded, I did it in the bathroom with a cassette.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

You people are...interesting.

:P
I couldn't record in my bathroom if I wanted to. It's way too small and the fan is on whenever the light is on. Plus the faucet in the tub drips. Suppose I could use that as a metronome?

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, very cool reverb in there....

Now how do I get the computer in there to record?

I've got a good list of songs to play in the bathroom.....don't want to upset the censor, though, do we? And these would drive him potty....about the least Risque was "Up Around The Bend".....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I find in my bathroom it's real easy to dial in that brown sound. I was playing some classical gas the other day. I had to stop though as I was feeling flushed. Shortly after I realised I was all washed up so I left.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3