Skip to content
Playing guitar with...

Notifications
Clear all

Playing guitar with your teeth- bad side effects?

51 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Any bad side effects to playing guitar with your teeth? Can a tooth chip? Can it really ruin your teeth, period?

I'd like to just play around with doing it. But since I'm a safe person when it comes to health kinda things, I'd like to ask first.

Thanks. ;)

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Looking Stupid.
Not really, lol. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

To be honest, Jimi was not all that self confident. He thought his voice was bad and playing with his teeth and behind his back were gimmicks. He was that good, he was better than that good but he didn't know it. I wish he had lost the teeth thing. He didn't need it. I guess stuff like that impressed the non players though. Keep your teeth safe ..... use your fingers.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i never got into playing with your teeth, don't see any point in it, save the teeth for munching out 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Slip into Grandmas room late one night and grab hers out of that glass they're in beside the bed.....

Safer to experiment by playing with someone else's teeth first... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

To be honest, Jimi was not all that self confident. He thought his voice was bad and playing with his teeth and behind his back were gimmicks. He was that good, he was better than that good but he didn't know it. I wish he had lost the teeth thing. He didn't need it. I guess stuff like that impressed the non players though. Keep your teeth safe ..... use your fingers.
I probably know everything there is to know about Jimi (a little too much). I remember once he said on gimmicks, something along the lines of, "I'm tired of everyone sayin things about gimmicks. The world is nothin but a big gimmick with wars bombs and its all on TV and it's nothing but a big gimmick." He's right, a lot of things are gimmick.

Hendrix had a ton of confidence on stage, when he was playing guitar. But in the sutio. Honestly, I don'tt hink they were gimmicks. He did it because it happened, but it got to the point where everyone wanted him to play guitar behind his back, to play with his teeth or to burn his guitar. He got annoyed that everyone wanted to hear his "old stuff" like P-Haze, Voodoo Child, Manic Depression and none of his new stuff like Hey Baby, "Earth Blues" and songs like that. In fact, he got so annoyed with everyone saying he was such a big gimmick, during his famous New Years Eve concert at the Filmore East (where he played the incredible version of Machine Gun with the Band of Gypsys), he forced himself to pretty much stand in a stationary position the entire concert. It's funny seeing him toss and turn around...but never moving, kind of lke one of those things that can never fall on it's side, a baby toy...can't really think of the name.

As for why I wanna do it...dunno just seems like it'd be a fun thing to do for two minutes of practice, before I get braces at the beginning of summer. And no, not taking care of my teeth is why I need braces (like playing guitar with the teeth lol). ;) I just have an overbite.

Wow, I really rambled there. Completely going off topic in my own topic.
Hi,

Slip into Grandmas room late one night and grab hers out of that glass they're in beside the bed.....

Safer to experiment by playing with someone else's teeth first... :wink:
Lol, guess I'll have to ask my grandpa if I can borrow his teeth for the weekend. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's one school of thought that reckons Hendrix didn't play his guitar with his teeth - he pretended to, just turned the volume up and did lots of hammering-on and pulling off.

I think at the very least, you'd scratch and damage the enamel - try rubbing a guitar string with a fingernail for a feew seconds and see the damage it does. And what if a string went in between two teeth and went into your gum? Ouch!

Stick to fingernails and a plec - much safer!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

There's one school of thought that reckons Hendrix didn't play his guitar with his teeth - he pretended to, just turned the volume up and did lots of hammering-on and pulling off.

I think at the very least, you'd scratch and damage the enamel - try rubbing a guitar string with a fingernail for a feew seconds and see the damage it does. And what if a string went in between two teeth and went into your gum? Ouch!

Stick to fingernails and a plec - much safer!

:D :D :D

Vic
There is one shot I saw of him Hendrix before that showed his tounge rubbing against the strings, and another with his teeth. But at the same time, I bet a lot of the time he did hammer ons and pull offs. A lot of the time you can hear the "pop" of his teeth 'biting' the strings, whereas sometimes you just hear hammerons/pulloffs, and I'm sure those are the times he faked it.

That's a good point also...scratching the enamel. Part of me enamel already is scratched since I grind at night, so I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for me to do it. Prob not a good idea anyways.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I still like Chris's idea the most though, haha. :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Kevin ... I'm a big Jimi fan! I'm only quoting what I have heard others that were his contemporaries say on documentaries. I realize he was exciting live, but to me his studio work is where he shined. He was a true genuis. Truely! That man could play a guitar. I watch vides of him live and think ... well thats flashy but it doesn't sound as good as the album. He could have done that, but I don't think the average fan would have appreciated it in the 60's. That was my point.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kevin, someday when you're famous and playing for concert halls and the cameras, you can have some custom-made fakes crafted, you know, like the Halloween vampire teeth. Play guitar with them while your own pearly whites (that your parents will have invested big bucks in) are safely covered. :P

:lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Playing with teeth is a healthy exercise. It is a very important and an integral part of making a good guitar player.

Don't use plectrums, they may get damaged.

Stay safe, stay secure, Play with teeth daily.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

just for good measure, why not lick your strings a few times to see if you really even want to consider having that taste in your mouth... I'm generally against gimmicks though one of the local shows I saw the bass player using one hand hold his guitar over his head and play the open E string for a few measures, maybe not a super flashy move, but if you are going to play something simple you might as well be providing a little visual spice and entertaining, but I wouldn't want to give up good sound for flash, if you must play with your teeth definitely get something to protect them.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Why make a thread about this? Fuck it, give it a try. Gnaw on some steel.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Love the sarcasm. >_< lol

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

To me, playing with your teeth was Jimi. Anyone else I see do it, are just copying him. Besides, it must taste yucky! :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4