Skip to content
Playing guitar with...

Notifications
Clear all

Playing guitar with your teeth- bad side effects?

51 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I think when guys like Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert do it today, it's meant both as an homage to Hendrix, and as a bit of light-hearted hamming for the audience.

The Pete Townshend windmill, on the other hand, is an under-appreciated move that every guitarist should try to incorporate into their performances. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you've got fillings, braces, gold teeth or grilles, you might get a jolt from the galvanic effect.

Unless you're teething on a nylon stringer, of course.

Let's see you do that, Esteban!

LOL - I just had this vivid mental image of a guy wearing braces going into the dentist's office with a guitar dangling from his mouth......

Take no notice of me, I'm easily amused.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Kevin:

I stand corrected. "Cliche" was probably not the best word to use. I meant that that trick is SO defined by and identified with Jimi. Anyone else who tries it, looks like an imitator.

Kind of like if a guitar player does the duck walk thing - I immediately think the guy is doing an imitation of Chuck Berry.
All imitation is not trite, IMO. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And just as certain licks give a nod to one of the greats, so do certain techniques, gimmicks or cliches.

That is not to say that just anyone can pull off every gimmick, but when done well, they can be real crowd-pleasers.

Margaret
Agreed.
If you've got fillings, braces, gold teeth or grilles, you might get a jolt from the galvanic effect.

Unless you're teething on a nylon stringer, of course.

Let's see you do that, Esteban!
Lol. I get the same image as Vic.

slej, I agree. The Pete Townshend windmill is great.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

+1 for the Pete Townshend windmill.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As for copying vs innovation: I bet 99% of the people tune to EADGBE, think of the same voicing when asked for an E-major chord, uses the neck pickup for rhythm and the bridge pickup for lead, introduces the band sometime during a gig, holds the pick between the thumb and index fingers and hangs the guitar somewhere between the chest and crotch.

Being an innovator doesn't mean you have to do wildly new stuff, merely re-arranging the casual can be all it takes. If you want to play with your teeth go for it. As long as you don't base your show on that you're copying Jimi just as much as I do when I go to the toilet every morning...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Not you. I'm refering to NEZTOK. His replies have been nothing but negative in the topic. Reminds me of some boards I used to go to with a bunch of kids.

Kevin, will you tell us how old are you, when you refer to others as KIDS ?

And secondly, NEZTOK, gave a very good, short and terse reply to your absolutely stupid question in first place.

If you want to play with your teeth, play and find out. I think you are intelligent enough to know that a steel string will cut your gums and rip off all the enamel off the tooth and will be extremly painful. Or it will simply jack off your teeth, if a string gets stuck in them. Then what's the point of asking it over the boards ? Just want some popularity or want the members to hail Mr. Hendrix just like you do in every post of yours ?

Remember, we are not posting any hate out here. But if reality hurts, you cannot say its hate. I think you may consider my post to be the most hated of all, but maybe what's right is right.

Hendrix is not the only one. Nither he is the best, nor he is required to be cheered and copied by everyone. Far more better players are there.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I actually had this great idea last night before I went to sleep. You could have a set of false teeth over your real teeth, and when you play with them, they could be break-aways and you could spit the pieces out at the audience. Now, THAT's never been done.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Rahul:

You have some valid points. My recollection from his prior posts is that Kevin is in high school, but I may be wrong. It is very common, and probably to be expected, for a young musician to have his guitar heroes. Hell, in my day EVH was an absolute GOD and I was willing to FIGHT anyone who didn't agree. :lol: Looking back at that now, it seems sort of silly, but it was actually pretty natural.

Sure there are many great guitarists, both past and present to admire and be impressed by their accomplishments. Kevin will learn that, if he hasn't already, but he will do so at his own pace. Through his experience and as time passes he will discover many great musicians. I have seen many younger kids excited about bands from my youth - my 11 year old son worships AC/DC! Let Kevin adore Jimi - it is harmless.

There is one thing I do sort of disagree on. Jimi certainly was not the only great one, but he WAS one of the absolute greats. Too bad he killed himself before he had the chance to fully bloom into what he would have become. He was a virtuso, an artist, an innovator. I read once that no less a guitar god than Pete Townshend was absolutely terrified by Jimi, because he knew there was no way he could "compete" with Jimi -- even though we know they were/are both great in their own way.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Or have double falsies. A nice looking set that you can break off and throw out as above, revealing the Billy-Bob teeth underneath. :lol:

(Of course, you may not need falsies for those.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Not you. I'm refering to NEZTOK. His replies have been nothing but negative in the topic. Reminds me of some boards I used to go to with a bunch of kids.

Kevin, will you tell us how old are you, when you refer to others as KIDS ?

And secondly, NEZTOK, gave a very good, short and terse reply to your absolutely stupid question in first place.

If you want to play with your teeth, play and find out. I think you are intelligent enough to know that a steel string will cut your gums and rip off all the enamel off the tooth and will be extremly painful. Or it will simply jack off your teeth, if a string gets stuck in them. Then what's the point of asking it over the boards ? Just want some popularity or want the members to hail Mr. Hendrix just like you do in every post of yours ?

Remember, we are not posting any hate out here. But if reality hurts, you cannot say its hate. I think you may consider my post to be the most hated of all, but maybe what's right is right.

Hendrix is not the only one. Nither he is the best, nor he is required to be cheered and copied by everyone. Far more better players are there.
Oh jeez. Here come the age insults. So many older people use "age" as a way to insult someone. I'm 16. I'd say I'm more mature than 16. When I was 14, 15, I used to go to other boards and I was just sick of the immaturity on the boards. It gets out of hand. All I said was that those posts reminded me of the immaturity of those boards. That's it.

I am intelligent, that's why I asked. I asked because everytime I came to this board, and someone asked a question, they get a straight reply. No matter how basic it is. Why does this topic get shit? Oh, I don't know to be honest.

Popularity, lol. I don't care if anyone loves me or hates me, especially on the internet. I don't care if everyone hails Hendrix as I do. I think he's the best. The fact you are basing your opinion off of little facts is idiotic. You act as if I listen to Hendrix, and Hendrix only. Only one genre of music, classic rock. I'm going to stop there actually, you can believe what you want to believe. I don't care either way.

You didn't have to be an complete a-hole about all of this.

And CFB- First of all, thanks for bring compentant about this. Obviously Jimi was one of the greatest of all time, I think he was the greatest of all time. Is he? Well, I don't know. Everyone has different definitions of 'the best.' That may be technically(which Jimi was not), or the music he created(a matter of opinion). There's many other ways, and it's not worth listing them all. I've listened to a lot of music, tried out a lot of music. Flat out real blues...funk...modern rock...rap...a lot is quality. A lot is crap, in every age. My favorite is classic rock. A matter of opinions.

And Jimi didn't kill himself. But that's a different topic for a different day. It was just an accident. He was bound to die early though, I'll say that. And I wouldn't have been surprised if he killed himself sometime in the future (if he stayed alive), but in 9/18/70, a horrible accident occured.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

...to be an complete rectum....

I guess it's just another of those oddities of our language that "to be a complete rectum" is considered undesirable, but so is being "half-@$$ed." Seems like a no-win situation. :?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I bet your dentist will love you for it, you can play with your teeth and put his kids through college. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

...to be an complete rectum....

I guess it's just another of those oddities of our language that "to be a complete rectum" is considered undesirable, but so is being "half-@$$ed." Seems like a no-win situation. :?
rectum, haha. I guess the word is changed on this board. It was suppoed to be "a-hole"

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Rahul is GOD! You can say Jackass, you Jackass.
Nice.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Well it's obvious from the turn this thread has taken that maturity has little to do with age. :roll:

Couple of you need to take a chill pill.

I'd like to point out that the original question at the top of the thread was whether there were any side effects to playing with the teeth. It wasn't particularly a solicitation of anyone's personal opinion about it, although we've all given ours by now.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4