Skip to content
Playing with high g...

Notifications
Clear all

Playing with high gain -- how can I stop the noise?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was listening to some Satriani the other day, and it sounded like he was playing with really high gain. The thing is, every time I crank the gain on my amp (Vox AD30, if it matters), all the notes/power chords seem to bleed into one, barely distinguishable mess. I'm sure part of my problem is that I'm not too careful about muting a string after playing it, but I think there's more to it then that.

Any ideas on how I can get a less noisy sound?

EDIT: What are the odds that this thread would be posted just before I did this one?

Also, my amp does have a noise gate feature, though it doesn't seem to make much difference for high gain settings. Neither does the built-in compressor. I'd still love to hear suggestions/opinions.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

What you are hearing listening to Satch is the magic of a tube amp. Moddelers are good but there is no substitute for tubes. That along with his massive talent is how he is doing it. Tube amps have a lot of compression. They sustain with less distortion. The notes are clearer and cleaner.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I made along post, but I couldn't post it :x .

Oh well, the main point was that you need to have good string noise reduction skills when playing with high gain with your picking hand.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote