Clear all

Please help me!

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jefferygibsonsg)
Topic starter  

I have a Behringer V-Tone GMX212

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VTone-GMX212-2X60-Watt-Stereo-Guitar-Combo?sku=480731

And it makes a LOUD popping noise that goes on fore ever but the weird thing is is that it does it fore like 2 weeks then works perfectly for 2 weeks then does it again and so on.I can still play guitar and it sounds normal but i still hear the extremely LOUD popping noise in the background to explain the sound its like a lawn mower engine starting up then tacking off shifting gears and getting faster and louder when i play. When i first got it it had no problems at all. It is not the cord because i have tried 5 cords and still the same i also tried 4 guitars and still the same and also tried plugging the amp up in different electrical outlets in the house and STILL THE SAME. If you can help i would really appreciate it but if not i am going to throw it in the yard and soak it in gas and watch the possessed thing burn! My main guitar is a Gibson SG Standard lol i play on my little Marshall 9v battery mini amp for now!

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

My guess is you have a geounding issue at the jack. Maybe sometimes when you plug in a cable the connection touches something. And when it doesn't happen you've nudged it just enough so that whatever wire is touching the metal isn't touching it. I don't know too much about the innards of an amp, but I suspect sometging around the jack is causing a problem.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

behringer has a lousy reputation for durability and quality. setting your amp on fire might be your best bet. i'd suggest doing it in front of a large audience :)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I was going to suggest electrical noise in the house, but since you have tried different rooms, that may be less likely. It might still be. Have you tried it at a friend's house or something like that?

The next most likely thing I can think of is a problem in the amp's power supply. I'd look at a bad capacitor in the power supply, if I were working on it.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@jefferygibsonsg)
Topic starter  

I was going to suggest electrical noise in the house, but since you have tried different rooms, that may be less likely. It might still be. Have you tried it at a friend's house or something like that?

The next most likely thing I can think of is a problem in the amp's power supply. I'd look at a bad capacitor in the power supply, if I were working on it.
No i have not tried playing it in some one else's house but i will try it.

ReplyQuote
(@jefferygibsonsg)
Topic starter  

I play blues and classic rock n roll stuff like B.B. King Robert Johnson Stevie Ray Vaughan Jimi Hendrix and i want to ask what amp would be better for my style---A---Marshall Class 5---OR---A Fender Frontman 212R i know i should play them to see what i like best but there is NO music store close to me the closest one is in a whole other state.

ReplyQuote
(@kidwithabcrich)

Moderator edit - I cleaned up some of the language but left the spelling mistakes

I had the same amp, i ripped it apart and made a box guitar out of it when it died but for you id suggest poping off the cover and making sure everything is soldered on correctly, This brand is pretty unreliable but usualy it will last forever getting more and more unreliable if you have a soldering iron.

Someone asked about amps, id go with the marshall, im not a big fan of fender anymore and marshalls are great amps

ReplyQuote
(@jefferygibsonsg)
Topic starter  

Moderator edit - I cleaned up some of the language but left the spelling mistakes

I had the same amp, i ripped it apart and made a box guitar out of it when it died but for you id suggest poping off the cover and making sure everything is soldered on correctly, This brand is pretty unreliable but usualy it will last forever getting more and more unreliable if you have a soldering iron.

Someone asked about amps, id go with the marshall, im not a big fan of fender anymore and marshalls are great amps
What part do i take apart there is a silver thing on the back that has screws is that what i take apart?

ReplyQuote
(@kidwithabcrich)

Yeah at the top where all the knobs are there should be screws and you have to take out a ridiculous amount of them to get to the insides but once you do you should be able to see if there are any wires that need to be re-soldered (which is a pain in the butt)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What part do i take apart there is a silver thing on the back that has screws is that what i take apart?
That comment leaves me a little concerned about your level of experience...

If you are not familiar with electronics repair, please go carefully. Or find someone with more experience to help you.
Make sure the amp is un-plugged from any power sources.
Discharge any power supply capacitors before letting your bare hands near their terminals
Use care if you are soldering on any circuit boards.
If you're unsure about what you are doing, don't do something that can't be reversed.

I'm not trying to discourage you from a "do-it-yourself" project, just don't get in over your head.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kidwithabcrich)

That comment leaves me a little concerned about your level of experience...

If you are not familiar with electronics repair, please go carefully. Or find someone with more experience to help you.
Make sure the amp is un-plugged from any power sources.
Discharge any power supply capacitors before letting your bare hands near their terminals
Use care if you are soldering on any circuit boards.
If you're unsure about what you are doing, don't do something that can't be reversed.

I'm not trying to discourage you from a "do-it-yourself" project, just don't get in over your head.

When i said yes those are the screws i was subtly my means of a psychic link through our corresponding texts telling you all that :D

ReplyQuote
(@jefferygibsonsg)
Topic starter  

It was the transformer it works good at the moment now thanks for the help yall.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I play blues and classic rock n roll stuff like B.B. King Robert Johnson Stevie Ray Vaughan Jimi Hendrix and i want to ask what amp would be better for my style---A---Marshall Class 5---OR---A Fender Frontman 212R i know i should play them to see what i like best but there is NO music store close to me the closest one is in a whole other state.

the marshall class 5 is a 5 watt tube amp and a frontman's a 100 watt solid state. two completely different amps.

ReplyQuote