Plugging guitar into sound card?

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

I was wondering if it will do any damage if I plug my guitar directly into my sound card. I have the right cables but experience tells me not to plug it in just because it fits.

Thanks,

Andrew

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i've plugged my axe through my sound card before... cant remember anything bad happening...

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The input level is not going to be right for a sound card. They expect either a mic or line level input, neither of which a guitar produces.
Cheapest method is to buy a cheap passive DI box, they don't cost much, especially from ebay.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Here are some options...

Line6 products for the computer.

M-Audio products for the computer

Edirol products...(Audio Interfaces) for the computer...

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The input level is not going to be right for a sound card. They expect either a mic or line level input, neither of which a guitar produces.
Right, although you probably won't damage it. I like to either mic my amp or use its line out so I can hear what I'm playing through the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@newlyded1)

I've got the Audigy 2 Platinum in my pc. Before getting an amp, I plugged mine into the mic/line 2 that's on the internal Audigy drive. On the soundcard, itself, I have the line out going to my home stereo. It works with no ill effects. Well, I don't think it had quite the dynamics as plugging into a regular amp, but it served it's purpose.

Now, if you wanted to do this to use effects software (ie: Guitar Rig, GuitarFX, etc...), you'd want a low latency sound card, otherwise you will be getting a delay from the time you strike a note and when you hear it coming out of the speakers.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

The biggest thing to note is NOT to go from the external speaker jack on your amp (if you have one) to the sound card. That ext jack is for driving big things like 4x12 cabinets, and your PC sound card will not stand a chance. Going from guitar directly to Mic in generally works, though may not sound great. Guitar to line in probably will not work, but shouldn't hurt anything either. The best option is either line-out from your amp to line-in on the sound card, or micing the amp.

Lik newlyded, before getting an amp, I plugged my guitar into the sound card, and from there went to my stereo. Like he said, it doesn't sound like a real guitar amp should, but it makes noise, so good enough.
TZ

ReplyQuote