Notifications
Clear all

Practice time...help!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@g29knight)
Topic starter  

I am looking to set up a more structured practice plan so that I can get the most out of the limited amount of practice time. I know that I have developed some bad habits that I need to work out (see forum post "Ouch Cramps"), but my biggest nemisis is barre chords. I can't seem to get them right and they frustrate me. I am also looking for some good speed and warmup exercises for myself. Can you possibly help me or point me in the right direction?

God Blesses Everyone with a talent use it to glorify Him,

George Knight

(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I can comiserate with you when it comes to not having much practice time. I would love to practice for 2 or 3 hours a day, but that just isin't going to happen. Doesn't mean you can't improve though; it's just more important to structure what little practice time you have, like you said. Here's how I structure (or at least try to structure) my practice time. It seems to work pretty well for me.

1. Warm-ups (obvious place to start)
2. Scale/Theory Work (while my brain is still fresh)
3. Speed Work (now that I'm good and warmed up)
4. Noodling/Jam Time or work on a specific song (fun way to end)

As for some exercises, I would highly recommend Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stentina. It has enough exercises on everything from pick speed to finger speed to sweep picking to keep one busy for a very long time and some pretty good warmups at the beginning as well. This is all just me, of course, you have to do what works for you, though hopefully this gives you some ideas. And as for barre chords, they just took me a lot of practice...and I mean a lot :smile: Gotta love it.

PS I love you tag line, George; how true :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

I have the same basic practice structure as Jason, except for one thing. I like to run through some music theory BEFORE warming up. Get out some staff paper and right out time signatures, meters, modes...whatever suits your fancy. This warms up the brain and puts it into 'music mode' as I like to call it.

That way, when you begins playing the basic scales or exercises for warm-ups, you'll be warming up the fingers and reviewing music theory at the same time.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote