Clear all

practice

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, i've been playing almost a year and my fingers are getting to be somewhat quick.. Sometimes i find myself moving around the fretboard in no particular order, simply moving from note to note hoping to produce something memorable...Though i do practice scales and improvewithin these scales

I was wondering if this is healthy, or should i simply just stay within the scale and/or chord patterns

Also, what is a good way to practice making decent riffs/licks within say the pentatonic scale, like what are some different techniques or "feels" i could be practicing

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

That can be useful, noodling has it's purpose, and it's certainly fun, but if you want your end result to be making music, you need to practice making music.

It sounds like you're at a point where you could find yourself some jam tracks and really develop the ability to incorporate your scales and licks in a more musical way. Start out just playing your licks in the key over the track, and then gradually move into adding something outside of the normal key to add tension, it won't be too long before you realize where you can and can't go.

That's the direction I would head. Good luck!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote