Purple Rain - Prince

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Allright all!

Can anyone help. I noticed a comment on here a long time ago about playing Purple Rain with a capo on the 1st fret but can't find a decent tab for it.

If YOU can play it, how do you play it?

Thanks

Matt

(@oliver)
Eminent Member

Never heard about playing that one with a capo. You should tune your guitar a step down I think (or a half step, not sure)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

We used to do it in the same key as the record, no capos. The movie footage shows no capo either if I remember.

Best.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Demo, yeah, but how was that?

that's what i am asking, how do you play the darn thing?

be grateful for a detailed answer on this.

Thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh sorry; yah I'm trying to not use so many words these days.

To be truthful, I haven't played that song since 1984-5 and I don't even remember what key it's in. I think it's a 'guitar key' though because I remember being able to use harmonics a lot when the other guitarist and I would trade solos; lots of dive-bombing too. We covered the song but we didn't play the solos note for note. It's a great 'play what you feel' number and a real show-stopper - a concert piece.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but basically we just all learned it off the record, rehearsed it a bunch of times and stuck it at the end of the the third or forth set. Normally for the solos, we left it open as to what me, or the other guitarist wanted to play; the actual song structure remained the same though.

What part are you trying to learn?

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to get the main rhythm part down really, I am not up to the solo.

On group therapy guernsey site, there is a clip of him playing it, with just a guitar and backing. Its quite good, but its not close up enough to tell any chord shapes or anything.

Someone must know this song - its a classic!!!

Thanks

Matt

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Matt, if you are into Power Tabs give the second one on the http://www.powertabs.net/ site a shot. Guitar # 1 is the one you are after.

It's a little different then my attempt but it sounds pretty good.

If you already know the chord pattern you can try repeating two full down strums and an up strum of just the 2 or 3 treble strings.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

An easy chord version using a capo on the first fret is at http://www.guitaretab.com/p/prince/15098.html . But I think it sounds better tuned down to Eb.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

BEWARE OF POWERTABS - just visiting their website you end up with unwanted spyware and other crap on your computer

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nils

Cheers but i haven't got Powertabs, damn!

And no use telling me how to get it either, i am useless on the PC.

Come on someone, help me out here!

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@cookie-monster)

i saw prince live recently (AMAZING concert) and he didnt use a capo. prince = most under rated guitarist :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

At last year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony (2004) where Prince was inducted, they also inducted George Harrison as a solo artist.

When the ensemble on stage started to play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", I'm wondering who's going to play the Eric Clapton solo since Eric wasn't there like he was this year?

Prince walks out and starts to wail and my mouth dropped open and hit the floor! WOW!!! That little black man just smoked Eric Clapton! Sorry Eric, but even you would have been impressed!

Then I later learn that Prince played all the instruments on his debute album. Yeah, he's a little wierd but one hell of a musician and rightfully in the hall of fame.

And speaking of underated guitar players, how about Lindsay Buckingham?

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@planetalk)
Reputable Member

i saw prince live recently (AMAZING concert) and he didnt use a capo. prince = most under rated guitarist :wink:
I saw him a couple of years ago in Brisbane, Australia. He was mind bogglingly good ... in a class of his own. He plays guitar as well as he sings, produces, plays keyboard, writes, performs, struts, plays bass, fronts a band, manages his mystique, trims his facial hair, dances, and on and on ... to perfection.

Kirk

Kirk

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

Kudos on Prince. Some of his tunes are really really good.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Here's the chords I learned to play it with. I am not 100% certain that I've named them correctly, but I am about 90% sure. Play them in the order listed. The cool thing about this is to solo in Bb major pentatonic over the first three chords, then move to Bb minor over the last (Eb add 9). btw- I also tuned down ~capo my a**.

Bb add 9

--1---------F
--1---------C
--3---------Bb
--3---------F
--1---------Bb
--x---------

F add 11

--1----------F
--1----------C
--3----------Bb
--3----------F