Clear all

Put on the Spot - First "Audience"

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeap, I was put on the spot yesterday. We had some friends over for a few drinks and food. Well, we are all sitting on our deck and one of my good buddies just has to bring up the guitar. He asks me how the learning is going and then (I saw it coming) asks me to play something. Of course everyone else starts in and I reluctantly grab my acoustic. I give about a million disclaimers because I don't know a whole song all the way through yet (I was telling them I could play them a mean Pentatonic scale :) ) . They don't really care and just want to hear what I know. So I start with Stairway since I've got the first parts of that one down pretty good. Then I move on to Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Safe in New York City, Hells Bells, and then I showed them some of the stuff I've been working on myself (which are actually a bit more "complete"). Anyway, even though I was rather embarrassed, I managed OK and everyone said I sounded really good and I was given a few things to learn before the next party. :D

I think I was most embarrassed by the fact I didn't really know any complete songs. So if anything, yesterday sealed the deal on the fact I need to learn some to the end (instead of the intros or signature riffs). But it did feel good having them all watch and give nods as they recognize the tune and then give compliments when I was done. :)

Anyway, just had to share. I'm SURE that next months party will now include me playing. Any suggestions of a few tunes to learn? I've already printed out some of the songs from here and the easy song database. I'm thinking some Buffet and ???

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@alangreen)

Well, the most obvious suggestion is to head over to the Easy Songs Database right here on this site. After that, take a few of the songs in the lessons right here on this site. If you can't find something you like out of that lot, I'll eat my Les Paul.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

Congrats! I had a buddy call me yesterday and ask me if I wanted to come over and jam. I thought about it but finally passed considering I know four chords and it takes roughly five minutes for me to switch between each one. I asked him to give me a few weeks and let's see what my teacher has me doing and we can get together then.

I know everybody says to start playing with people right away, but I would at least like to have a few chords memorized before I start.

Again, congrats on the trial by fire and passing it.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Hey Crank,

That's AWESOME! I wish I had the guts to do that! I went into work on Friday to get setup for the school year and my vice-principal asked what I did over the summer and of course I mentioned the guitar...She Beamed and said "Oh I am going to have to sigh you up for the Talent Show!" I replied with a VERY quick "NO WAY!"

I am having a hard enough time with recording myself but to get up live in front of people and play...No Way Brother!

My hat's off to you!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Being asked to play is a good thing. It should encourage you to practice more and learn more songs. If I get a call to play somewhere if its with a complete band usually I know most of their songs or have them get me a song list and I work on their songs right up till just before show time. A couple months back I had 26 days to learn right around fifty songs. No problem I buckled down and got it done and what I couldn't remember I made up. ( Oh thats right its called improvising)...lol

Anyway its all good. Importantly have fun.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great stuff! :D

It's very encouraging to hear of other people braving the terrors of the first public performance.

It sounds like we're at a similar stage - lots of odds and ends but no real party piece, and nothing much "all the way through".

I crossed that line last week too when some good friends came round to dinner. I was fiddling around showing the sheet music to a guy who is a really expert player and suddenly I was whanging away at the song. :shock:

The first thing that I noticed was that I couldn't hear both my "singing" and the guitar, because there were a bunch of people still yakking away at the dinner table. After a couple of re-starts everybody finally shut up and I made it all the way through. Loud applause all round. :) (They're a very forgiving bunch!)

I wonder how pub players cope with the noise factor? Experience must help a lot, plus getting the volume balance right, etc???

Anyway, great news Crank-N-Jam. More power to your fingers. 8) 8)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone!

What I thought was funny was that I was embarrassed, yet everyone there are very good friends of mine. Although, I suppose that's the difference. I wasn't nervous, just embarrassed. I'd probably get nervous playing for strangers. My girlfriend was even surprised because I try not to play with her in the room either. 'Suppose that's what a few beers will do for ya! :D

Since I posted this message, I've got a good chunk of Wanted Dead or Alive down and have started on some Buffett songs. I'm going on a hunt this week for some song books. Tab on the Net is nice, but it's often not very accurate (which bugs me for some reason), so I'm on the hunt for a mix of popular songs to learn.

This experience has most certainly gotten me practicing double time.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats great stuff Crank. The inaccurate tab thing never did bother me. As long as it sounds decent, I can sing to fill it in and people will usually get what it is. I make myself feel better by remember all the covers I have heard professionals do, and they purposely did the song just a little bit different. heh

As for hearing in a crowded room. I know we used to use monitors to hear ourselves. The PA system (which varied between a real PA system or just sets of amps) were obviously pointed into the crowd, but we always had a few speakers point back our ways to. Spent alot of times hovered over the guitarist because as long as I could hear him, then I could feel the rest of the song.

I usually play with music in front of me. Its a modified version of TAB that I might find on the internet but I arrange it so that its all on one page and tells me the strumming pattern and such. But I am like you guys, I am ready to try to start taking on these songs without any TAB or music in front of me so that I might start remembering them better. I think the TAB has become sort of a crutch.

Best of luck next month.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ohh one more thing. On the being embarrassed and it was friends not strangers thing..

That actually makes sense. When we used to perform I would never be nervous at all in front of crowds. In fact, the bigger the crowd the better. But if we were in a small room with just friends I was ALOT more nervous.

Practice will take the edge off that nervousness too.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 doug
(@doug)

As for Buffett, the tabs at the Church of Buffett, Orthodox, have a reputation of being fairly accurate. Jimmy's used them himself before...

http://www.cobo.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=4

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Excellent link! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

I read a tip from someone else on this forum about how to slowly get rid of nervousness and have used it ever since (in preparation for a situation such as yours): practice your guitar in the living room or some open room in the house that people constantly walk in and out of. It will get you used to the presence of people when you're learning something and playing horribly. That sentence sounded weird, but the psychology makes sense. You just get used to people being around when you play, whether you have perfected a song or not, making you feel comfortable just being you. I've only been playing a month and it has worked wonders: I'm excited about the first time I'll play for people (though I only know one song all the way through) and have already gotten gear for recording. Plus, I like playing my short little riffs instead of entire songs. Entire songs are boring. Anyway, I hope the advice is helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I got this reply from my wife yesterday: "I used to couldn't stand it when you picked up a guitar but now I don't mind it!"

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Part of the reason I try not to play in front of my girlfriend is simple. Often, while trying to learn something new, I'll play the same measure repeatedly. Sometimes for a long time. In my mind that would have to drive someone within earshot crazy! :D So I end up plugging in the headphones and playing to myself.

I will try playing things for her more though. She would tell me her honest opinion, so I guess that could help.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions everyone!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2