Notifications
Clear all

Put on the Spot - First "Audience"

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

I live with a house full of musicians so they all are used to it and even if I try and practice behind a closed door, someone is bound to hear me and come in to show me something or see how it is going. Now, I am comfortable with these people, so I don't know how it would be with complete strangers, but there is just a point where I say to myself "I have to play this chord progression 100 times to get it right and that is what will happen."

MrClean

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

Crank, that's cool. I think it's just being in the presence of people, whether they're listening or not. You have an electric guitar? I'm not exactly sure how they work, but when I play things over and over again when people are sitting nearby, I tend to go without a pick and play softly. Anyway, that's not what I was going to say. I used to play the drums and people can hear you play whether you want them to or not. I would play the same thing over and over again, but I'd get nothing but compliments, which confused me. When I listen to people play the piano, even when they stink, I'm always enthralled. It seems to me that the only thing we can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it is music. So unless your girlfriend has said something, she may actually enjoy listening.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, since I have a new guitar coming today, I can assure you she will be hearing me play tonight! :D

Whitney, hear what you are saying and I agree. I'm sure it's in my head and I only assume it would drive her nuts. Some of it might also be my insecurities. Maybe I don't want her to hear because then she'll know who bad I am. :P Anyway, tonight, she'll be getting an ear full of Tele! The neighbors probably will also.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@whitneyzeldow)
Estimable Member

hehe. Rock on brotha!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Chris_C asked: "I wonder how pub players cope with the noise factor?"

A bunch of us play in a pub every tuesday night, anything between 4 - 12 of us, just acoustics...apart from that, there are usually quite a few people in, but I've found that playing with other people tends to totally focus my mind on playing and singing.....

What I'm trying to get across, I suppose, is that when I'm concentrating so hard any extraneous noise is just filtered out....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Nerves suck. Last night there was an open mic on my campus, but sadly our percussionist couldn't make it. I would've played solo if the only open slot weren't midnight and I had a 9 am class.....

But in the time between finding out about it and calling the bongo player, I was freaking out even though I didn't know if we were playing or not.

So, I guess Im going to be a wreck next time they have one of these and we know more than 10 minutes before it starts......

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2