Quality or not? - GIBSON

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have a co-worker who went out of his mind this summer...at least that's the only way I can attribute what he did. Or he's trying to get a quick divorce.

He purchased one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Shop-Duane-Eddy-Signature-Guitar?sku=517815

It took about 3 months before it arrived, after ordering. He's had it about 4 - 6 weeks now and is noticing the lack of staying in tune. He's having huge difficulties with it staying in tune. He can play it for a little while and if he uses the Bixby at all it goes out of tune.

He has narrowed the problem down to the nut. That infamous ping when tuning. In multiple conversations to Gibson, the nearest service center to us is 3 hours away by vehicle. Gibson is requesting that he take it to a service center for repairs.

So I guess all I'm saying is whether you have a $300 guitar or a $3000 guitar, there is no guarantee you'll get it in the condition you expect. He said he's owned 4 Gibsons since the mid '70's and this is the first time he's had this kind of problem.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not

But good news: A nut (-job :P ) is an easy tweak. Unfortunately, Gibbys suffer many other quality issues. You will find better workmanship in an Asian-made guitar costing 1/3 the price.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Also a good argument against buying guitars online since you can't play THAT guitar before you buy it. Had he tried it out first, he probably would have caught that. I won't buy a guitar online, especially one that expensive. Nice looking guitar, though.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

You'd think that for the price he payed, and the distance to the service center, that they would offer to pay for the shipping to get it serviced. I think Gibson's quality & customer service are going downhill.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

You'd think that for the price he payed, and the distance to the service center, that they would offer to pay for the shipping to get it serviced. I think Gibson's quality & customer service are going downhill.

Dan

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Gnease, you made me laugh with that pun, even though it was horrible :wink: :D :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member

i'm a happy gibson customer.i sold my 80's sg last year because i was broke and bought a new sg standard a few months ago,i'm very happy with my new guitar always stays in tune even in and out of the case,i was worried my new one dosen't have grovers but it hasn't been an issue,i use my guitar every day.couple of weeks ago a bar stool fell on my guitar and broke the tone pot i called the music store i bought it from(authorized dealer)he called gibson they sent a new pot all i had to pay was install. 8)

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

All my guitars and amps are made over sea's, and I've never had a problem with any of them. Samick makes good guitars, and they make a guitars for a lot of companies under other names.

As for Gibson, the price tag scares me worse than the quality and customer service.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Oh my that's one expensive guitar!!! Beautiful, but pricey!

I only hope that the nut is the only problem. Aren't Bigsby equipped guitars known for having tuning issues?

Regardless, I hope he gets it fixed. If not, back to Gibson it goes I'd hope!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Boy, I'd have to sell a kid (or a kid-ney) to afford a guitar like that. And what's worse is, if the guitar was defective, I'd get the kid BACK! :shock:

:lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote