Question about acoustic guitar woods and their traits

21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Wow, haven't seen that guitar before.

Very nice looking.
And it's got a Deco inspired Rosette - I'm huge on Art Deco 8)

Have you played one yet????

AK Flying V -
You're very welcome.
Hope you find it helpful.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I haven't played a Martin period yet. I went to the Martin site thinking it would help me pick one via series of questions and so I started scrolling down looking at them all and saw that one. I would be worried I might scratch it up though since there's no pickguard but I kind of like them without one. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No pickguard's nice if you're a fingerpicker. :D

(If you're a nosepicker, we really don't need to know about it.) :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

No pickguard's nice if you're a fingerpicker. :D

(If you're a nosepicker, we really don't need to know about it.) :lol:

And if you're a teethpikah then ?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I haven't played a Martin period yet. I went to the Martin site thinking it would help me pick one via series of questions and so I started scrolling down looking at them all and saw that one. I would be worried I might scratch it up though since there's no pickguard but I kind of like them without one. :D

You really have to play them to decide, though. All of the reputable makers/manufacturers provide great, convincing stories about design, woods, tonal balance, CNC consistency or handmade craftsmanship ... But all that goes out the window when you pick up one and play it, because their idea of nice tone may not be yours. Another thing to remember is that acoustic guitars of the same make and model do not sound the same. They are somewhat unique, organic creatures. Play the one you will buy. If I find a "keeper" hanging in the store -- great tone, playability (for me), but maybe it has a small scratch or weird looking woodgrain, I will still consider that the one to buy until I play another (unblemished) one like it and decide the same. Yesterday, I was faced with this same situation. I tried a lot of acoustics in the store's acoustic room, from the $300 Fender to $5000 Ritchie Sambora (sp?) rehab custom ... Martin, Taylor, Guild, Gibson, Tacoma, Fender (?!), Ovation (??!), Takamine, Ibanez ... I found only 5 guitars I felt did it for me: Martin HD-28 (>$2k), Taylor concert sized koa (>$3k), Taylor GS? (~$1600), Tacoma DM14 (~$1k) and Gibby J200 (~$2.5k). In the end, I bought the Tacoma. I played it for several hours over a couple week period and still liked it. It was relatively inexpensive, and while not as fancy looking as the J200 and Taylor Koa, it certainly held it's own sonically and felt as good as a Martin, but not quite as good as Taylor. So this is a nice sounding, fine playing working guitar -- probably with laminated rims and back.

So here's the crux of the story: When I go to buy it, I work with one of the senior sales guys for whom I recently did a small favor. Without a quibble, he prices the Tacoma with case at $570 (down from in-theory-only $1299 list and $999 normal store price). Secondly, when he goes to get the case, it already contains a fresh, pristine DM14. He looks at me and says "You want this one, or the one you played." Tempted by newness for a full nanosecond, I chose the one I played. From his reaction, that was obviously the right choice -- he knows they vary, but will sell me whatever I choose. So back to the price for a moment: The store still made money on that Tacoma. I'd been told once before that an HD-28 could be had for about $1600 instead of the store price of $2300, but wasn't sure I believed it. I do now. Never pay the store's tagged bargain price. It still is highly profitable. And the store I purchased from is not a GC or Sam Ash, but a very successful, privately owned store. Their standard prices always start at the mail order level. So even that is not a great price. I didn't have to in this case, but always be prepared to bargain -- hide the love, and be prepared to walk away.

And Eirraca: Acoustics earn their character just like electrics. Getting a bit scratched and worn around the edges is part of the life and charm of the instrument. It's also you putting your mark on the guitar. Don't worry about being 'sans pickguard.' But if this will keep you up nights, you can buy a thin, clear adhesive pickguard and apply it yourself. It's almost invisible and won't affect the tone.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks gnease :D I thought about that last paragraph you had and I agree...I just didn't want to mess it up right away! I tend to play with my fingers vs pick on my electric, not sure why it just seems "right." Of course I'm not shredding on stuff yet so that might change when that happens. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2