Skip to content
question on 'rock n...

Notifications
Clear all

question on 'rock n roll' solo (Led Zepd)

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@oblio)
Topic starter  

hey gang,

well this is one of the hardest solos ive had to learn and part in particular i cant seem to get to sound right.

it goes like this: its around 1:57 (time)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-5 p8 -------9 h6------10 h7---------11 h8-------9 p12-----10 p13------
--------7-----------8------------9--------------10----------11-----------12---
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how would you guys go about achieving this? which fingers would you use, i tried having my pinky doing the pulling off and hammering but its hard to get a strong sond with that finger,

i also found its easy for your fingers to get lost when you have to move up the fretboard so quickly, hammering and pulling the whole way.

it also seems the very intro

A -----3p0---
E -----------3- (8x) he plays at a higher spot in live versions.

any help on these or the solo in general would be AWESOME.

thanks!!

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yup that can be a tough lick to learn. Try using your second and third fingers instead of your third and fourth. In the meantime, do exercises to strengthen up your pinky (ie trills - pull offs and hammer ons repeatedly). Use a mentronome, starting at about 80bpm then move on up as you get better. Slow and steady, thats pretty much the best way. I had a similar post not so long ago and recieved no responses; its just a matter of practice. using a mentronome and slow and steady practice I got it down.

As you move up the neck, it will be next to impossible to use the 3rd and 4th fingers on that lick, so its good to practice it using just the 2nd and 3rd as well as the 3rd and 4th. It takes a while for the fingers to get it sometimes, especially if licks like this are unfamiliar to you. Just keep at it, you'll get it.

Hope this helped!

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@oblio)
Topic starter  

thx mate!

have you learned it too?
( and if so is that how you did the intro?)

im also considering trying to hammer on/pulloff both the note intended to be so, as well as the note on the G string because it seems to ring more then the B string and it overpowers.
comment on that?
Edit: after expirementing i think ill pick it all, seems to sound better that way.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yeah you'd want to pick that one as well. I haven't learned the entire solo yet, but I'd play the intro as its written: pick and pull off the A string C note and pick the e string G note normally. I havent' practiced extensvely (i'm just starting to add repeating licks to my arsenal and haven't gotten up to speed yet) but it seems to be easiest playing the pull off note with the middle and the G with the index. This helps to avoid and inadvertant hammer on back to the C note as you start to repeat the lick, which throws everything out of whack. It also makes it easier to mute the open A after the pulloff.

If you're interested in this kind of stlyle, learn the Freebird solo. That one is the mother of all repeating lick patterns, and aside from the shift up the neck it will make this one seem like a breeze. Thats what I'm working on, though I'm by NO means an expert.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/lynyrd_skynyrd/freebird_tab.htm

I find the tabber below the first tab you'll see did a better job since he wrote out the times for each lick as the song progresses, making it easier to follow.

Hope this helps,
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I'd have to disagree on the fingering tho. I'd use my ring and pinky. It's a good solo to help you get used to using the little finger. At any rate it's just a repeated riff. You can basically keep your fingers in one position as you slide the shape up the neck.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@oblio)
Topic starter  

i watched the dvd and page uses his middle and ring, so im gonna go that way - might as well follow the creator!

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Well it's just my opinion but I think it's bad technique. He just happens to be used to it. Following someones bad technique just becaue you idolize them isn't necessarily a good thing. :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yeah, you can do that for now, but I highly recommend strengthening up that pinky. The best way seems like its never the easiest :D I think it will probably work out better for you in the long run, but thats just me...

ReplyQuote