Clear all

Rather strange problem

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

My friend is starting out on guitar, and he wanted me to send him something that I can play, so he can hear what I can do. I chose a short solo from Time by Pink Floyd. After I bend the 3rd string, I go back to it to play, and it is horribly detuned. I don't think of it much so I retune and try again, the same thing happens. Whenever I bend that certain string a 1/2 step or higher, it instantly goes out of tune severely. I need at least 2.5 rounds of twisting the tuning pegs (Fender standard strat head and stock tuners) to retune. Is it just a bum string or something else? This never happened to me before

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The G string is the one that gives most people a hard time with staying in tune but generally not that noticeable after one bend.

A simple test to see if it is either slipping on the tuning peg or the tuner itself is slipping is to bring it up to tune and pull up on the string and watch to see if the peg is turning or the string is slipping. Also watch for any movement at the bridge.

It could also be getting stuck in the nut and popping loose when you bend so try lubing the nut with graphite (lead pencil shavings will do)

And ofcourse, it could be just a worn out string.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I know it's defiently not a worn string, cuz I changed them like 3 weeks ago, i'll try the other things you said and get back with results

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It could also be that string is getting ready to break. It could be unraveling at the end. That happens on occasion, even with new strings. Or the string may not have been seated all the way to begin with. This can happen on string-through body models where you can't see it.

Other than that, it seems the only problem could be you don't have enough string wraps around the pegs or the string is getting caught up in the nut as was mentioned.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I tried out pulling the string, that didnt seem to do anything to throw the guitar out of tune. It's only when i bend, I loosened the string and pulled it up tightly so it would hopefully enter the bridge correctly from the bullet end. I checked the string, and there are no signs of unraveling, maybe I need new tuning heads?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What kind of guitar is it. Is there any screws on the backside of the tuning peg? I seen when the screws for the tuning gear or peg has worked themselves loose. Then under certain circumstances it would slip causing the string to go out of tune. When you string the guitar do you wrap the string about the peg about three times before you go through the hole. And then pull the string tight as your taking up the slack enough to start tuning it.

Just a thought

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Interesting, I posted a comment/reply earlier and it disappeared.

I suggested swapping the suspect tuner with another to see what happens. Like does the problem move? This could also rule out it being loose.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Other than that, it seems the only problem could be you don't have enough string wraps around the pegs or ...

Or too many wraps around the peg -- if you are wrapping more than four or five turns and are overlapping windings, this problem can occur.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I guess I've never really known how to properly string a guitar. Ive always just put the string in the tuner and tightened from there, I know this is wrong, but I don't undertsand the string winding. After I string it my way, when I tighten it to tune the string, the string winds around the peg anyway, so..yea

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

btw, forrok star, it's a fender standard start with stock tuning heads. I might just use this problem as an excuse to buy gold sperzels, make my guitar look different

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

*shameless plug*

Try Grovers... just my opinion, but I prefer them to sperzels. Very stable, nice mass, classy looking.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Should be shameless ... unless you have some financial interest in Grover.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

grovers would've been my first choice, but they don't sell gold in-line tuners, which is what I want

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It says that they're mini tuners, does that mean theyre smaller than the stock fender tuner that I have, or are they normal sized?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2