Clear all

Sticky Fingers

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok this is kinda strange but my fingers are getting sticky after playing for about an hour. I've been playing for 14 months and never noticed it before.

I've done the obvious like cleaning the guitar and my hands but it just seems to be a time thing. I've got 3 guitars and can play each one for a couple of minutes, no problem. Then I play for an hour...and the problems on all 3.

Can anyone help

Dave

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dave

Well, I don't know if I can help. Everyone is different. This is probably way more than anyone needs to know :oops: , but I have always had very dry hands. I am one of those people who puts their finger to their tongue to flip the page of a book or newspaper. Otherwise, I cannot grip paper at all. Strings last forever for me. The only time I have a problem like you described is in the summer if it's really hot.

I have a good friend who is just the opposite. His hands are always very moist, almost wet feeling (sorry, but that's the topic). His perspiration is also very acidic. He has to change strings about every two weeks. They will literally corrode and turn black.

I dunno, perhaps you could try talc or some other type powder to keep your hands dry. Maybe wrist bands would be of help too.

There is also polish for your strings and neck you can purchase at most any music store, that might be the answer.

Let us know what works for you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jimiraysantana)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply Wes

My hands are always dry. My fingers just seem to rub on the fretboard and strings and not move smoothly after a while.

I think my wife has the answer, we live in the country and installed a water softener just before this started happening..maybe something to do with that

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

I never had sticky fingers but, when I switched over to D'Addario strings, for the first month my finger tips itched really bad.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Sometimes when I put new strings on a guitar, they will stick to my fingers for a few days. Then they wear a little and are fine.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

The Stones had sticky fingers. It worked ok for them.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@the_fifth_beatle)
Trusted Member

I think they used a little Brown Sugar..

stop...i have found a genius...stop...

ReplyQuote