Clear all

re-stringing with 10's instead of 9's

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all im just wondering would i have to adjust the bridge at to put 10 gauge strings on my strat. I wouldnt know so i figured I'd ask people from here to see if wat im doing is the right thing

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Try it and see. I dunno if you've got your action adjusted high enough to get away with it or not. If you do switch and get string buzzing you will obviously need to get some adjustments. You might also get binding at the nut because the strings are too big for the grooves. You also might have to adjust your truss rod.

If I were you I'ed just do it and then see if it starts buzzing. If it does you can switch back or take it in to a tech for a setup.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Do you have a floating bridge (bends up and down, not just down)? If so, you will have to increase the spring tension to counterbalance the extra tension of the 10s. For a floating bridge, note the current angle of the bridge plate (with 9s). You will want to maintain that same angle with the 10s. To do this, I usually block the bridge in position with wooden wedges or similar (toothbrush?) so it cannot move. Change the strings, tune and adjust intonation (below). Then, noting the blocked bridge angle, tighten the spring tension (spring claw) until the wedging block(s) slips free and the bridge plate rests at the original angle.

You will very likely have to adjust intonation at the bridge, as well. For some of the strings, the saddles will probably move a bit away from the neck.

If you have a "vintage" Strat trem (only bends down), some spring tension increase may be necessary but it's much easier and obvious -- just tighten springs to pull the bridge back down onto the body.

The nut will probably be okay for 9s to 10s. You shouldn't have to raise the action when going up in gauge, but the truss rod may require a slight tweak (less than 1/2 turn for a small change in guage) to optimize relief.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sre123_2002)
Estimable Member

i have a telecaster and went from 9s to 10s. the action seems okay with the new strings and i haven't noticed any problems.

ReplyQuote