Clear all

Reading Notation

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing for about a year now and i feel i am coming along quite well. I was just wondering do any of you guys think that it is detrimental to my musical development to only read tab. Should i be reading notation yet? Also if you think i should learn to sight read can anyone recommend a good site to learn from.

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes. Absolutely you should learn to read notation.
Can't recommend a site. I originally learned to read notation in school band some 30 years ago and refreshed my memory through instructional books.
Being able to sight read will open up the world for you.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nobody ever got canned from a band because they could read music.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@omega)
Estimable Member

Isn't there a saying that goes something like "Only a fool doesn't use all the tools available to him" ?

If not, I feel rather proud of myself, and theres your answer. :D

Somnium Dulcis.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Learning it certainly won't hurt, and it's worth knowing it to get to learning theory. Tab tends to dissasociate the workings behind the music from the player. If you play from a tab you're not always going to be sure exactly what it is that you're playing. You're just making all the right sounds so it's all good.

Plus, you'll be able to transpose music that would normally be written for other instruments that don't use TAB.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I think I'm going to create a forum and post a brief lesson on first position and 1 easy piece of notation each day for 100 days.

If you take 5 minutes a day and just do one piece. You'll be reading notation like a pro by the time we are done.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Sweet. I should brush up on my standard.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Nick,
That would be great. I've learned to read music 3 times in my life and now I find myself doing the "Every Good Boy..." routine again. A refresher and some structured practice might help.

David's song lessons are fantastic, as are all the informational lessons on the site, but I think a lesson series structured like typical guitar lessons would be great. "Here, go practice this until you've got it down and see me in a week for your next assignment." Teaching notation would be a great application of this.

I know I could use a little less chaos in my life.
Eric
p.s. Happy belated birthday.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

I dont know who the jerk is that first started spreading rumors about theory being detrimental to development or success, but when I find them its going to be trouble.

I spend twice as much time on theory and study then I do on actually playing. As soon as you can, start reading, itll be the best decision youve ever made.

Being a musician who cant read music is like being and English teacher who cant read English.

Maybe he can pull it off, but who are they kidding?

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

My fate is sealed - I've bought a copy of "Harmony" by Walter Piston off ebay.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, it certainly won't hurt, but it isn't *that* important to me. I'd had to learn music notation for piano, but I never use it for guitar. Maybe if you play classical guitar, but I have no idea why I'll ever try to play a song I don't know yet, and if I did know the song tab would work just fine. As such I practice actual technique more, seems more usefull to me.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Suhweeeeeeet!

Can't wait to learn standard, man!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Okay, I think I'm going to create a forum and post a brief lesson on first position and 1 easy piece of notation each day for 100 days.

If you take 5 minutes a day and just do one piece. You'll be reading notation like a pro by the time we are done.

Nick not only are you "The Dog"s Bark!" I think I'll have to give you The Cat's Meow!!!!!!". Looking foward to the new forum!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Best. Idea. Ever.

Reading standard is definitely one of my weaknesses in guitar, I'm looking forward to this immensely.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Noteboat has agreed to put together the lesson. Should appear in the next week.

Then I think I'll put up 20 pieces of notation, fairly simple.

1 per day for 20 days

then we move to the next position and start again on the 20

In 100 days we should have it all memorized. Well close anyway.

As an added bonus, you'll also have the fretboard memorized.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2