Recent achievements?

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all,

I don't know where else to put this, but I thought it would be something which would be appreciated by the community. Basically- what I'm asking is, is there something you've accomplished recently with the guitar that you'd like to shout from the rooftops about? If so, post about it here, and let your achievement be known.

For me, it's my greatest achievement so far to be able to play "Operator" by Jim Croce- I learned it earlier today. I've still got a fair bit of work to do to play it exactly as Jim did, but I think I'll get around to it...as it is, I can play a passable version.

So...what are your latest (and greatest) achievements?

Don't be shy, and feel free to share.

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My most recent playing accomplishment was a big one. Sort of a paradigm shift on the way I think about Rhythm playing. It's already opened up some previously difficult songs, especially slow ones.

Today's accomplishment was not playing, rather gear adjusting. My Squire Tele and my Fender Super Champ Deluxe have not been getting along well. The other two amps is fine, but this one didn't like it a whole lot. I fiddled some and found a good combination of things.....at any rate, life is good and they're making fast friends now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

"I got blisters on my fingers!"

no. seriously. they are sore and tender. I have been hitting the guitar hard for ten days.
now they are terribly tender.
what is odd..( hence the achievement) is that I've been playing for forty plus years.
my callouses are older than some people here. I am surprised my finers hurt.ow man. :cry:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I started to play my first jazz walking lines on my bass last week. It could not seem a great achievement but I love jazz and I always wanted to play it. It just the first attempt but it is more than I had some years ago.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I'd have to say learning "Waterfalls" by Peter Simms. Not so much in learning the song, it was my determination to learn it. How many David Hodge lessons have I walked away from because I ran into a difficult part? Or, I did my own little workaround instead of doing it correctly?

"Waterfalls" isn't really hard except for the middle. So I, practiced the middle slow (like you should) and eventually got it. I can maybe play it clean maybe 1 out 5 times.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Congratulations to you all, and may there be many more proud moments in your guitar playing careers!

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

I started to play my first jazz walking lines on my bass last week. It could not seem a great achievement but I love jazz and I always wanted to play it. It just the first attempt but it is more than I had some years ago.

Walking jazz bass lines are fun. Many years ago, I used to do basic walking bass for a student group. It's quite enjoyable.

My big recent achievement is that I finish all the lessons in "Blues You Can Use". :D It took a long time to go through that book. My thanks to the folks here who recommended it. I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I went back over Banana Pancakes and learned to play everything correctly instead of my beginner version (D D Percussive slap, D D Percussive slap) which allowed me to sing over it. It sounds a LOT better for it. The pre-chorus was the hard bit, accenting the upstrokes instead of the downstrokes.

D u D u D u D u
e----5-x-5----3-x-3------------------
B----5-x-5----3-x-3------------------
G----5-x-5----4-x-4------------------
D----5-x-5----3-x-3------------------
A----7-x-5----5-x-5------------------
E--5--------3------------------------

As you can see its a bit hectic, and I've got almost zero fretting hand muting. But... I cracked it! It sounds SWEET! Its worth a look up in YouTube (Jack Johnson - Banana Pancakes) to hear what this kind of pattern sounds like. :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

for you project guys who may be interested, finished building my custom lapsteel guitar:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=43673

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd learned to play one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs; Ten Years Gone, awhile back, but hadn't had the courage to tackle the solo. I've never really been able to sit down and figure out solos note for note, just mostly stick to rhythm. Today I sat down and learned the whole solo. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@eddiewouldrock)

I could play Sweet Child O mine from beginning to end. even there's some slow down at the fast solo, but I'm just happy to play it as a whole. That's the song that got me started playing, and my goal is to learn it, no matter how hard, lol, by the way I'm only in my 11 months playing.

You can take a look at my playing here, this video does not have the last breakdown and outro and some mistakes of course, like missed the a bend.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I never. This is turning out to be a popular thread. Congratulations to the latest batch of achievers, and may there be many more achievements to come! :D

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I had my first public performance this week. I've played for my family and at workshops / jams with other musicians but this week my workshop group did a 13 song concert for family and friends of all involved. I was scared but I didn't make any large screwups. I did get lost on one of the songs but I waited until I recognized where we were and dove back in. All in all a good experience.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats! A public performance is always a public performance.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your first public performance Hyperborea! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote