Clear all

Recent Guitar Center visit

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone... I was at GC the other day testing out some tube amps and I happen to go on the day they were "blowing" out some used stock. Tons of amplifiers all over the store. Anyway... I was looking at just testing out a few amplifiers (Peavey Valveking, Fender HRD & DeVille, Crate Palomino, Traynor, etc) and I got lucky that they had so many available (probably twice as many as usual).

Ok, this thread isn't about amps, though... it is more about GC. I was walking through and checking various gear out and I can't tell you how much J U N K there was at this store. I've found this to be the case most times I walk around. There are amps and guitars missing switches, missing knobs, with broken strings, and some gear with half an inch of dust. What is the deal? I know they have a lot of merchandise that they need to worry about, but would it kill them (and their sales) to fix-up some of this stuff? Seems weird that they would put stuff on the floor that was clearly damaged or compromised (even with a discounted pricetag). The more difficult part was that they didn't seem to have a clearly marked "used" area... there was stuff strewn about... new with old... .demo with brand new...

An example... MANY of the amplifiers were missing knobs or had broken pots. I know if it used stuff, but don't they have a technician available to fix that stuff? Isn't it worth 45 minutes to repair it so you can get another $100 for it? Seems like business basics 101 to me...

Also, there was a Line 6 Variax Acoustic 300 guitar on sale for $199. Looked like a nice deal. I picked it up and (aside from a few dings) found two strings that fretted out at the 6th fret. 6th fret! It either needed a crazy setup or a fretjob. It was unplayable.

Anyway... I just thought I'd vent about the massive amount of junk I had to wade through...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"