Clear all

Recording on the computer

77 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm fianlly sick of my parents telling me to lower the guitar when trying to record myself so Im going to try recording by plugging the guitar into the computer. (I know you physically don't do this, but you get the idea :lol:)

I'm using audacity, with an old dell, about .333 ghz with a pentium II and 384mb ram. (I've been dealing with this piece of sh..crap for waaay to long) On my amp I have an emulated headphones input and a CD In and Emulated Line Out jack. In case it helps, it is a marshall mg15dfx. I know almost nothing with buying cables to plug into electrical stuff. Such as male/female conenctors and all that stuff. And I don't know where to attach the cable to the computer, what adapters I need, etc.

Can someone please, please, help me out with details, and maybe some pics, as I know next to nothing.

Thank you very much to all the people who help me.

(@Anonymous)

This was all just covered in This thread the other day...

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, how about this.

What do you use to connect the amp into the computer, and where do you stick it in the computer? I know the line in, but which one. For the adapter, do you jsut plug another guiatr cable from the amp line out and get an adapter to connect that to the computer? What does it look like?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

First off, as you might know, your pc isn't in the best of shape in the sound department for recording, i.e. RAM.

The only cable you will need is another instrument cable (1/4 to 1/4) and a 1/4 female to 1/8 inch male adapter. Female = innie, male = outie. From there, hook into your amp via the “line out” and then into your soundcard. And yes, you could buy a 1/4 male to 1/8 male cord, but if you need an extra cable for effects and such down the road, you would need to buy the opposite adapter. Just looking ahead for you.

When it's all said and done with you will spend less than $30. Granted you buy a quality cable.

Oh, make sure you use the headphones because it mutes the speaker output on your amp.

Mike

Edit- this is what the adapter will look like.......(mono= one ring and stereo= two rings.)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So, to clear things up, all I need is another instrument cable to go from the amp's line out, then an adapter to make the other end of the instrument cable fit into the soundcard?

If that's right, thank you very much for your help, Tracker. Hopefully it'll help my guitar playing alot.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

don't do wat tracker said....i tried the exact same thing and blew my soundcard within 15 minutes. the voltage comming out of your guitar will distroy your soundcard. the only way your going to accompish recording into your computer is buying a audio interface. you can choose between firewire and USB. i reccomend the edirol AU-25 USB audio capture. or the tacamine US122 USB audio interface. there not too expesive in and around $200 canadian and there really easy to use. and the sound quality is great. trust me i have been through exactly where you are sitting right now. i researched everything so much on computer recording. and this is the best and highest quality solution for the price range you are probably willing to spend

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Sorry to hear that maxo127! I've recorded many times with the set-up I suggested and never hand any problems.

Yes, an audio interface would be the way to go for quality recordings. I recommend them when fit.

Again, I've never had any problems. Then again, not all things are equal to every application.

Edit- Maxo127, I HOPE you are not confusing line out with speaker out.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

i thin kit is possible not to blow the card. depending on your cards qaulity and how high you have the volume set at on your guitar. you should try to keep the volume of the guitar extra low. and if you find your recording to quite adjust the recording volume on your computer. low on the pre high on the post. (i believe). i don't think you will blow it is you are careful. but i think mine blew because i didn't know that it could blow.

and when mine blew only half the card got destoyed. the recording half i could still hear but not record. so no im not getting it confused with speaker out

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15705&highlight=

i remember talking to you about this exact same thing when i fried my card. read the old thread.

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I thought I remembered you. And to set the record straight, you talked to me after you had the problem, not before.

Like I said before, I've never had a problem with the set up I recommended. I have since upgraded a great deal, but when I was recording before, I never had a problem.

Your card might have been on it's way out anyway, you never know though.

Computers and their hardware are a strange beast. You never know what is going to happen.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Max is partially right...I have read you are not supposed to crank your guitar amp up too high ot you could blow either your speakers or sound card. But if you have a newer sound card the chance of that happening is slim to none. They ahve improved greatly.

Ideally you should get an interface for recording ANY instrument if you want quality recordings..

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

tracker,

yes i agree...it might just have been my soundcard. although it was top of the line. however it doesn't matter. aslong as blackzero is careful. hey if it blows its only $50-$100 bucks for a new decent card i gess its wortha try.

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

hey if it blows its only $50-$100 bucks for a new decent card i gess its wortha try.

I wouldn't suggest it if it was "worth a try".

I did it and had not problems. Maybe I just got lucky, but then again, I've never been a lucky fello. On top of that, I have a laptop.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

lol....who knows...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

wow, all this has jsut scared me from ever recording on the computer :lol:

I think, for the safest method, I will post the model of my soundcard, just to see if it is compatible for recording and all that stuff.

Also, if you have to keep the guitar volume low, how do you record distorted sounds. Even if you higher the gain, and the gain volume, the low guitar volume will keep it clean

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6